The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
In response to requests from instructors and students for shorter and less expensive composition readers,40 Model Essays-- featuring material adapted from the successfulThe Compact Reader-- offers about half the usual number of readings for about half the price of similar books.
JANE E. AARON is a professional writer and editor as well as an experienced teacher. She is the author of the best-selling Little, Brown Handbook and coeditor of the best-selling Bedford Reader, Eighth Edition (Bedford/St. Martin's, 2003). She has served as consultant, editor, or writer on more than a dozen other textbooks for the first-year composition course.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Reading and Writing Barbara Lazear Ascher, The Box Man
1. Description E.B. White, Once More to the Lake Joan Didion, The Santa Ana Judith Ortiz Cofer, Silent Dancing M. Scott Momaday, The Way to Rainy Mountain
2. Narration Langston Hughes, Salvation Annie Dillard, The Chase Maya Angelou, Champion of the World
George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant
3. Example Perry Klass, She's Your Basic L.O.L. in N.A.D. Anna Quindlen, Homeless David Sedaris, Remembering My Childhood on the Continent of Africa Brent Staples, Black Men and Public Space
4. Division or Analysis Emily Prager, Our Barbies, Ourselves Margaret Visser, The Ritual of Fast Food Scott Russell Sanders, The Men We Carry in Our Minds
5. Classification Russell Baker, The Plot Against People Deborah Tannen, But What Do You Mean? Stephanie Ericsson, The Ways We Lie
6. Process Analysis Lars Eighner, Dumpster Diving Anne Lamott, The Crummy First Draft Jessica Mitford, Embalming Mr. Jones
7. Comparison and Contrast Suzanne Britt, Neat People vs. Sloppy People Bruce Catton, Grant and Lee: A Study in Contrasts Nancy Mairs, Disability Richard Rodriguez, Private Language, Public Language
8. Definition Judy Brady, I Want a Wife Noel Perrin, The Androgynous Man Gloria Naylor, The Meanings of a Word Amy Tan, Mother Tongue
9. Cause and Effect Analysis Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point Barbara Ehrenreich, Cultural Baggage K.C. Cole, Women and Science Steven Jay Gould, Sex, Drugs, Disasters, and the Extinction of Dinosaurs
10. Argument and Persuasion A Debate on Capital Punishment Edward I. Koch, Death and Justice David Bruck, The Death Penalty William F. Buckley, Why Don't We Complain? Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream Virginia Woolf, Professions for Women Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal