More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the 3rd edition with a publication date of 9/3/2008.
What is included with this book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
Economical in both size and price,40 Short Storiesoffers a well-chosen array of popular and significant stories, enhanced by unobtrusive but effective editorial features.This volume in Bedford/St. Martin's series of Portable Anthologies and Portable Guides offers the series' trademark combination of high quality and great value for teachers of literature and composition and their cost-conscious students.
BEVERLY LAWN (Ph.D. SUNY-Stony Brook), Professor of English Emerita, taught introductory fiction courses at Adelphi University for almost three decades. Editor or co-editor several literature anthologies, including Literature: A Portable Anthology, she is also the author of Throat of Feathers, a book of poems.
Table of Contents
Nathaniel Hawthorne, Young Goodman Brown
Edgar Allan Poe, A Cask of Amontillado
Herman Melville, Bartleby the Scrivener
* Ambrose Bierce, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
Guy de Maupassant, The Necklace
Kate Chopin, The Story of an Hour
* Anton Chekhov, A Blunder
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Yellow Wallpaper
Willa Cather, Paul’s Case
James Joyce, Araby
Franz Kafka, The Metamorphosis
* D. H. Lawrence, The Rocking-Horse Winner
Katherine Anne Porter, The Jilting of Granny Weatherall
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Winter Dreams
William Faulkner, Barn Burning
Ernest Hemingway, Hills Like White Elephants
John Steinbeck, The Chrysanthemums
Eudora Welty, A Worn Path
Ralph Ellison, Battle Royal
* Shirley Jackson, The Lottery
James Baldwin, Sonny’s Blues
* Flannery O’Connor, A Good Man Is Hard to Find
* Cynthia Ozick, The Shawl
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings
John Updike, A & P
Raymond Carver, Cathedral
Joyce Carol Oates, Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?
* Margaret Atwood, Death by Landscape
Toni Cade Bambara, The Lesson
* Bharati Mukherjee, The Management of Grief
Alice Walker, Everyday Use
Tim O’Brien, The Things They Carried
* Zoe Wicomb, You Can’t Get Lost in Capetown
Amy Tan, Two Kinds
Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street
* Murthan Mungan, Muradhan and Selvihan or The Tale of the Crystal Kiosk
* Ha Jin, The Bridegroom
Lorrie Moore, How to Become a Writer
* Sherman Alexie, What You Pawn I Will Redeem
* Edwidge Danticat, Night Women
* Writing about Short Stories
Biographical Notes on the Authors
Glossary of Literary Terms
Index of Authors and Titles
* new to this edition