Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
Table of Contents
1. Abnormal Psychology: An Overview.
What Do We Mean by Abnormal Behavior?
How Common Are Mental Disorders?
Research Approaches in Abnormal Psychology
The Orientation of This Book.
2. Historical and Contemporary Views of Abnormal Behavior.
Historical Views of Abnormal Behavior.
Toward Humanitarian Approaches.
Contemporary Views of Abnormal Behavior.
3. Causal Factors and Viewpoints in Abnormal Psychology.
Causes and Risk Factors for Abnormal Behavior.
Models or Viewpoints for Understanding Abnormal Behavior.
The Biological Viewpoint and Biological Causal Factors.
The Psychosocial Viewpoints.
Psychosocial Causal Factors.
The Sociocultural Viewpoint.
Sociocultural Causal Factors.
4. Clinical Assessment.
The Basic Elements in Assessment.
Assessment of the Physical Organism.
The Integration of Assessment Data.
5. Stress and Adjustment Disorders.
What Is Stress?
The Effects of Severe Stress.
Adjustment Disorder: Reactions to Common Life Stressors.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Reactions to Catastrophis Events.
Treatment and Prevention of Stress Disorders.
6. Panic, Anxiety, and their Disorders.
The Fear and Anxiety Response Patterns.
Overview of the Anxiety Disorders.
Panic Disorder With and Without Agoraphobia.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
General Sociocultural Causal Factors for All Anxiety Disorders.
7. Mood Disorders and Suicide.
What Are Mood Disorders?
Unipolar Mood Disorders.
Causal Factors in Unipolar Mood Disorders.
Causal Factors in Bipolar Disorder.
Sociocultural Factors Affecting Unipolar and Bipolar Disorders.
Treatments and Outcomes.
8. Somatoform and Dissociative Disorders.
9. Eating Disorders and Obesity.
Clinical Aspects of Eating Disorders.
Risk and Causal Factors in Eating Disorders.
Treatment of Eating Disorders.
10. Health Problems and Behavior.
Psychological Factors in Health and Disease.
General Causal Factors in Physical Disease.
11. Personality Disorders.
Clinical Features of Personality Disorders.
Difficulties Doing Research on Personality Disorders.
Categories of Personality Disorders.
Treatments and Outcomes.
Antisocial Personality and Psychopathy.
12. Substance-Related Disorders.
Alcohol Abuse and Dependence.
Drug Abuse and Dependence.
13. Sexual Variants, Abuse, and Dysfunctions.
Sociocultural Influences on Sexual Practices and Standards.
Sexual and Gender Variants.
14. Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders.
The Clinical Picture in Schizophrenia.
Subtypes of Schizophrenia.
What Causes Schizophrenia.
Treatment and Clinical Outcome.
15. Cognitive Disorders.
Brain Impairment in Adults.
Disorders Involving Head Injury.
16. Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence.
Maladaptive Behavior in Different Life Periods.
Disorders of Childhood.
Learning Disorders and Mental Retardation.
Treatments, Outcomes, and Prevention.
An Overview of Treament.
Measuring Success in Psychotherapy.
What Therapeutic Approach Should Be Used?
Psychological Approaches to Treatment.
Psychotherapy and Society.
18. Contemporary and Legal Issues in Abnormal Psychology.
Perspectives on Prevention.
Controversial Legal Issues and the Mentally Disordered.
Organized Efforts for Mental Health.
Challenges for the Future.