Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach, Sixth Edition, is the perfect book to help you succeed in your abnormal psychology course! Authors Barlow and Durand show you how psychological disorders are rooted in multiple factors: biological, psychological, cultural, social, familial, and even political. You can test your understanding of topics with the text's built-in concept checks and chapter quizzes. Then, watch the book's integrated case studies come to life with Abnormal Psychology CourseMate, which provides real case profiles to give you a realistic context for the scientific findings of the book.
- Unlike texts that take a single-cause, single-treatment approach, Barlow and Durand cover treatment in each chapter. Frequently, a single case is carried throughout the discussion of each disorder, including coverage of treatment issues and outcomes.
- Case studies featuring real clients are incorporated into the flow of the text, providing a realistic context for the scientific research in the book. These case studies ensure that students never lose sight of the fact that beyond the DSM-IV-TR criteria, the theories, and the research, there are human beings struggling with these disorders.
- This text features substantial, cutting-edge coverage of prevention. The authors discuss a variety of topics that will pique students' interest--for example, how to prevent eating disorders, sleep disorders, substance abuse and dependence, suicide, antisocial disorders in children, and more.
- The authors thoroughly cover cultural and gender factors as they relate to abnormal behavior. Not only is new material highlighted in a "Theme Index" in the Preface, but a description of how cultural beliefs and practices--such as voodoo, mind reading, and speaking in tongues--can lead to misdiagnoses of personality disorders is included in Chapter 12, "Personality Disorders."
- Four to five "Concept Checks" at the end of every section allow students to apply concepts to particular cases and help them master the material as they move through each chapter.