Teacher and mentor Rebecca J. Donatelle helps students make wise decisions about their health using the most current information available. Along with insightful self-assessments and behavior change commitments, Access to Health , Eighth Edition also includes a comprehensive supplements package. Rebecca J. Donatelle is a highly involved teacher and student advisor, as well as an active researcher of health behaviors who knows the interests, fads, and fears of today's students. With this in mind, she has crafted the definitive text that speaks directly to students through its friendly and engaging style. Access to Health is comprehensive, readable, and generously illustrated, making it the text of choice for today's health and wellness instructors. Students are drawn in by Donatelle's accessible approach and interactive supplements. The Eighth Edition includes the latest research and statistics, as well as hot topics of interest and importance to students. The material has been streamlined to keep the presentation upbeat and lively. New supplements make classroom instruction easier, while practical tools enhance the behavior change approach of the main text and provide students with motivation for healthy living.
Table of Contents
I. FINDING THE RIGHT BALANCE.
1. Promoting Healthy Behavior Change. 2. Psychosocial Health: Being Mentally, Emotionally, Socially, and Spiritually Well. 3. Managing Stress: Coping With Life's Challenges. 4. Violence and Abuse: Creating Healthy Environments.
II. CREATING HEALTHY AND CARING RELATIONSHIPS.
5. Healthy Relationships: Communicating Effectively with Friends, Family, and Significant Others. 6. Sexuality: Choices in Sexual Behavior. 7. Reproductive Choices: Making Responsible Decisions.
III. CHOOSING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.
8. Nutrition: Eating for Optimum Health. 9. Managing Your Weight. 10. Personal Fitness: Improving Health Through Exercise.
IV. AVOIDING RISKS FROM HARMFUL HABITS.
11. Addictions and Addictive Behavior: Threats to Wellness. 12. Drinking Responsibly: A Lifestyle Challenge on Campus. 13. Tobacco and Caffeine: Daily Pleasures, Daily Challenges. 14. Illicit Drugs: Use, Misuse, and Abuse.
V. PREVENTING AND FIGHTING DISEASE.
15. Cardiovascular Disease: Reducing Your Risk. 16. Cancer: Reducing Your Risk. 17. Infectious Diseases and Sexually Transmitted Infections: Risks and Responsibilities. 18. Noninfectious Conditions: The Modern Maladies.
VI. FACING LIFE'S CHALLENGES.
19. Healthy Aging: A Lifelong Process. 20. Dying and Death: The Final Transition. 21. Environmental Health: Thinking Globally, Acting Locally. 22. Consumerism: Selecting Health Care Products and Services. 23. Complementary and Alternative Medicine: New Choices and Responsibilities for Healthwise Consumers. Appendix A: Injury Prevention and Emergency Care. Appendix B: Nutritive Value of Selected Foods. Glossary. References. Index.