Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
The Thirteenth Edition of Access to Health makes personal health engaging for students to learn and easier for instructors to teach by focusing on the most important real-world issues and topics, highlighting a focus on technology and money.
Long known for its currency, research, and strength in behavior change, Access to Health provides key information through a consistent framework for motivating you to make healthy life choices. As a teacher, mentor, and researcher, Rebecca J. Donatelle knows the issues that are important to today’s students. Through her friendly writing style she addresses your concerns and teaches them to be savvy and critical consumers of health information.
The Thirteenth Edition adds new features highlighting health topics centering around money and technology issues. Additionally, the book references one Video Tutor per chapter with QR codes. You simply scan the code with a reader on their phone and quickly and easily view a short video that makes a tricky concept easy to understand. As always, the book’s attractive design, imaginative art, unique mini-chapters, and robust media make learning personal health more accessible. Access to Health provides hands-on practical tools that help you effect healthy changes in your life.
Now included with Access to Health, MasteringHealth™ is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment product designed to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts. Students benefit from self-paced tutorials that feature immediate wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience to help keep students on track and prepared for lecture.
0321982746 / 9780321982742 Access to Health Plus MasteringHealth with eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
0321832027 / 9780321832023 Access to Health
0321973631 / 9780321973634 MasteringHealth with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Access to Health
Rebecca Donatelle is a Professor Emeritus in Public Health and was the Coordinator of the Public Health Promotion and Education Programs in the College of Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University. She has a Ph.D. in Community Health/Health Education, a Master of Science degree in Health Education, and a Bachelor of Science degree with majors in both Health/Physical Education and English. She was also a Certified Health Education Specialist in behaviors and behavior change. She has received the Leadership Award, outstanding teacher award in her college, and a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Presidential Award for Promising New Research in the Smoke-Free Families National Initiative.
Table of Contents
I. FINDING THE RIGHT BALANCE
1. Assessing Your Health
2. Promoting and Preserving Your Psychosocial Health
Focus On: Cultivating Your Spiritual Health
3. Managing Stress and Coping with Life’s Challenges
Focus On: Improving Your Sleep
II. CREATING HEALTHY AND CARING RELATIONSHIPS
4. Building Healthy Relationships and Communicating Effectively
5. Understanding Your Sexuality
6. Considering Your Reproductive Choices
III. BUILDING HEALTHY LIFESTYLES
7. Eating for a Healthier You
8. Reaching and Maintaining a Healthy Weight
Focus On: Enhancing Your Body Image
9. Improving Your Physical Fitness
IV. AVOIDING RISKS FROM HARMFUL HABITS
10. Recognizing and Avoiding Addiction
11. Drinking Alcohol Responsibly
12. Ending Tobacco Use
13. Avoiding Drug Misuse and Abuse
V. PREVENTING AND FIGHTING DISEASE
14. Protecting against Infectious Diseases and Sexually Transmitted Infections
Focus On: Understanding Your Health Inheritance
15. Preventing Cardiovascular Disease
Focus On: Minimizing Your Risk for Diabetes
16. Reducing Your Cancer Risk
17. Reducing Risks and Coping with Chronic Conditions
VI. FACING LIFE’S CHALLENGES
18. Choosing Conventional and Complementary Health Care
19. Preventing Violence and Abuse
Focus On: Reducing Your Risk of Unintentional Injury
20. Preserving and Protecting Your Environment
21. Preparing for Aging, Death, and Dying