Break through brick walls in your genealogical research
"Easy to read, provides clear explanations, examples and is well-illustrated, thus definitely meeting the needs of libraries and individuals seeking a book to guide family historians who are beyond the basics and need help solving problems."--FORUM magazine
Learn how to use innovative methods to unearth hard-to-find ancestors. Advanced Genealogy Research Techniques shows you, step by step, how to uncover elusive details by taking advantage of specialized tools and software programs and using proven best practices for breaking through the brick walls that have hindered your progress.
You’ll get professional advice on formulating a research strategy, understanding the details you discover, keeping careful track of your data, analyzing the evidence, and developing hypotheses. Real-world case studies demonstrate how you can apply the systematic procedures presented in this practical guide to your own research--and achieve success!
- Examine the brick wall in detail to find potential weak spots that can be exploited into a breakthrough
- Use brute force techniques that leave no stone unturned
- Obtain exact copies of original records rather than derivative sources
- Research the family, associates, and neighbors (FANs) of your brick wall ancestor
- Consult with your family, friends, and colleagues to get a fresh perspective on your research
- Use crowdsourcing--genealogy societies, online forums, social media, blogs, wikis, and podcasts
- Apply technological solutions, including DNA testing and specialized genealogical software
- Get tips on hiring a professional genealogical researcher with the appropriate credentials and references
- Revisit your brick wall problem after honing your research skills
- Review your evidence, develop a research strategy, and keep a meticulous research log