Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
Arthur M. Cohen is professor emeritus of higher education atUCLA, editor-in-chief of New Directions for Community Colleges, and the author of numerous books and articles on community colleges.
Florence B. Brawer is former research director of the Center for the Study of Community Colleges and associate editor of New Directions for Community Colleges. Cohen and Brawer together wrote several books on community colleges, including five previous editions of The American Community College.
Carrie B. Kisker is an education research and policy consultant and a director of the Center for the Study of Community Colleges. She is the former managing editor of New Directions for Community Colleges. Cohen and Kisker are the coauthors of The Shaping of American Higher Education, Second Edition.
1. Background: Evolving Priorities and Expectations of the Community College
2. Students: Diverse Backgrounds and Purposes
3. Faculty: Building a Professional Identity
4. Organization, Governance, and Administration: Managing the Contemporary College
5. Finances: Generating, Sustaining, and Allocating Resources
6. Instruction: Methods, Media, and Effects
7. Student Services: Supporting Educational Objectives
8. Developmental Education: Enhancing Literacy and Basic Skills
9. Liberal Arts and Transfer Education: Preparation for the University
10. Integrative Education: Modifying General Education
11. Occupational Education: Growth and Change in Workforce Preparation
12. Community Education: Extending College Services and Training
13. Scholarship and Commentary: Perspectives of the Community College
14. Student Progress and Outcomes: A New Age of Accountability
15. Toward the Future: Trends, Challenges, and Obligations
Appendix: For-Profit Colleges