The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The Used and Rental copies of this book are not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
American Musical Theater provides a chronological history of musical theater within a cultural context. Covering the major artistic trends, seminal works, and leading figures in the field, the text uses case study musicals in each chapter as a lens through which to explore themes and developments in the evolution of musical theater over time. In addition to exposing students to the musical theater canon, author James Leve encourages them to think across the disciplines, drawing on their knowledge of music, literature, popular culture, and history. For anyone from diehard musical theater fans to novices to the style, American Musical Theater offers a definitive guide to this inherently American art form.
Table of Contents
1. Oklahoma! and the Integrated Book Musical Overview Integration Theory Rodgers and Hammerstein The Evolution of Oklahoma! The Artistic Components Plot of Oklahoma! Interpretation Epilogue And Bear in Mind (Kiss Me, Kate)
2. Musical Theater in Nineteenth-Century America Plot-Centered Genres Variety-Show Formats Conclusion
3. Broadway at the Turn of the Century Musical Comedy Plot of Little Jimmy Jones Operetta Revue And Bear in Mind (The Chocolate Soldier)
4. The Teens Princess Theatre Musicals Plot of Very Good Eddie Beyond the Princess Theatre And Bear in Mind (Naughty Marietta)
5. The Twenties The Cinderella Musicals Other Musical Comedies The Operetta Revival Show Boat Plot of Show Boat After Show Boat And Bear in Mind (No, No, Nanette)
6. The Thirties Cole Porter Plot of Anything Goes Satirical Musicals Comedies and Revues in the Thirties Plot of The Cradle Will Rock Other Revues Other Notable Events on Broadway And Bear in Mind (Of Thee I Sing)
7. The Forties Lerner and Loewe Plot of Brigadoon The Rodgers and Hammerstein Generation New Voices And Bear in Mind (Pal Joey)
8. The Fifties Historical Background Cultural Background The Music Man Plot of The Music Man The Music Man Versus West Side Story An Embarrassment of Riches Conclusion And Bear in Mind (The Most Happy Fella)
9. The Sixties "The Age of Aquarius" Writers of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Era The First Post-Rodgers and Hammerstein Generation Concept Musical Cabaret Plot of Cabaret And Bear in Mind (The Fiddler on the Roof) The Nixon Era
10. The Seventies Serious and Comic Trends in the Seventies The Sondheim Decade The Sondheim-Prince Musicals Musical Theater Beyond Broadway And Bear in Mind (A Chorus Line)
11. The Eighties Megamusical From Rock Opera to Megamusical Andrew Lloyd Webber Plot of The Phantom of the Opera American Musicals in the Eighties Familiar Voices Interesting Flops A Doll's Life and Grind Revivals and Retrospectives The Legacy of the Megamusical And Bear in Mind (Les MisÚrables)
12. The Nineties The Incredible Story of Rent Plot of Rent American Megamusicals Beyond the Megamusical Musical Theater at the End of the Millennium Dawn of the Corporate Producer And Bear in Mind (The Lion King)
13. The New Millennium Corporate Producing Musical Theater in the Twenty-First Century Plot of The Light in the Piazza Broadway Today And Bear in Mind (In the Heights)
14. Musical Theater Off Broadway The Off Broadway Scene The Fantasticks Plot of The Fantasticks The Halcyon Days of Off Broadway Musicals And Bear in Mind (Little Shop of Horrors)
15. The "Black Musical" Early Years The Twenties The Thirties Postwar Black Musicals The Seventies Plot of The Wiz Post-Civil Rights Era And Bear in Mind (In Dahomey)
16. Rock on Broadway The Rock Musical Early Rock Musicals on Broadway Hair Plot of Hair After Hair Second-Wave Rock Musicals And Bear in Mind (Godspell)
17. The Star Singing and Stardom Al Jolson Marilyn Miller The "Merm" Gypsy and Mama Rose Plot of Gypsy Broadway Stars Today Merman's Legacy And Bear in Mind (Fine and Dandy)