Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
This book is part of the Pearson Automotive Professional Technician Series, which provides full-color, media-integrated solutions for today’s students and instructors covering all eight areas of ASE certification, plus additional titles covering common courses. Peer reviewed for technical accuracy, the series and the books in it represent the future of automotive textbooks.
Prepare tomorrow’s automotive professionals for success.
Automotive Chassis Systems, 7/e covers all of the fundamental and advanced brake, steering and suspension system topics, as well as the practical skills that students must master to be successful in the industry. Written by a service technician and an automotive instructor—not a technical writer—and up to date with all of the latest electrical and electronic brake systems services and systems used since 2005, it combines the content for automotive braking systems plus automotive steering and suspension into one combined book. Revered as the best available text on the subject and formatted to appeal to today's technical trade students, Halderman’s text uses helpful tips and visuals to bring concepts to life and guide students through the procedures they'll use on the job.
To keep your course current, all of the content is correlated to the latest ASE/NATEF designated topic of Automotive Steering and Suspension (A4) and Automotive Brake Systems (A5), and new or updated information is included on brake friction materials, qualifying a brake lathe, regenerative brakes, tire selection, chrome clad wheels, using a pin plate to balance wheels, snap-in and clamp-on TPMS sensors, relearn procedures, and more.
Jim Halderman brings a world of experience, knowledge, and talent to his work. His automotive service experience includes working as a flat-rate technician, a business owner, and a professor of automotive technology at a leading U.S. community college for more than 20 years.
He has a Bachelor of Science Degree from Ohio Northern University and a Masters Degree in Education from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Jim holds a U.S. Patent for an electronic transmission control device. He is an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician and is Advanced Engine Performance (L1) ASE certified.
Jim is the author of many automotive textbooks all published by Pearson Education. He has presented numerous technical seminars to national audiences including the California Automotive Teachers (CAT), the Illinois College Automotive Instructor Association (ICAIA), as well as a member and presenter at the North American Council of Automotive Teachers (NACAT).
Jim was also named Regional Teacher of the Year by General Motors Corporation and outstanding alumni of Ohio Northern University. He and his wife, Michelle, live in Dayton, Ohio. They have two children.
1. Service Information, Tools, and Safety
2. Environmental and Hazardous Materials
3. Braking System Components and Performance Standards
4. Braking Principles and Friction Materials
5. Brake Hydraulic Systems
6. Hydraulic Valves and Switches
7. Brake Fluid and Lines
8. Brake Bleeding Methods and Procedures
9. Wheel Bearings and Service
10. Drum Brakes
11. Drum Brake Diagnosis and Service
12. Disc Brakes
13. Disc Brake Diagnosis and Service
14. Machining Brake Drums and Rotors Diagnosis, and Service
15. Parking Brake Operation
16. Power Brake Unit Operation, Diagnosis, and Service
17. ABS Components and Operation
18. ABS Diagnosis and Service
19. Electronic Stability Control Systems
20. Regenerative Braking System
21. Tires and Wheels
22. Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
23. Tire and Wheel Service
24. Suspension System Components and Operation
25. Front Suspension and Service
26. Rear Suspension and Service
27. Electronic Suspension Systems
28. Steering Columns and Gears
29. Steering Linkage and Service
30. Hydraulic Power Steering Systems
31. Electric Power Steering Systems
32. Drive Axle Shafts and CV Joints
33. Drive Axle Shafts and CV Joint Service
34. Wheel Alignment Principles
35. Alignment Diagnosis and Service
Appendix 1 Sample Brakes (A5) ASE-type Certification Test
Appendix 2 Sample Suspension and Steering (A4) ASE-type Certification Test
Appendix 3 2013 NATEF Correlation Chart (A5)
Appendix 4 2013 NATEF Correlation Chart (A4)