This comprehensive book provides a general introduction to the discipline, then guides readers through the eight areas of ASE certification. It accurately reflects the information and skills neededin todayUs workplace , rather than simply stating facts and the operations of components.
1. The Automotive Service Industry.
2. Tools, Fasteners and Safety.
3. Introduction to Automotive Service Procedures.
II. ENGINE REPAIR.
4. Engine Operation, Parts, and Specifications.
5. Engine Condition Diagnosis.
6. Engine Disassembly, Cleaning and Crack Detection.
7. Cooling and Lubrication Systems.
8. Cylinder Heads and Valves.
9. Camshafts and Valve Trains.
10. Piston Rings and Connecting Rods.
11. Engine Blocks, Crankshafts, and Bearings.
12. Engine Assembly and Installation.
III. ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS.
13. Electrical and Electronic Principles and Circuits.
14. Wiring, Schematics, and Meter Usage.
15. Batteries and Battery Testing.
16. Cranking Circuit Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
17. Charging-Circuit Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
18. Dash Instruments, Accessories, and Safety Circuits.
IV. HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING.
19. Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Principles.
20. Heating and Air Conditioning Diagnosis and Service.
V. ENGINE PERFORMANCE.
21. Ignition System Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
22. Computer Sensor Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
23. Computerized Carburetor Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
24. Electronic Fuel Injection Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
25. Emission Control Device Operation, Diagnosis, and Service.
26. Engine Performance Diagnosis and Testing.
27. Brake System Principles and Operation.
28. Master Cylinders and the Hydraulic System.
29. Wheel Bearings and Service.
30. Drum Brake Operation, Diagnosis and Service.
31. Disc Brake Operation, Diagnosis and Service.
32. Machining Brake Drums and Rotors.
33. Power-Assisted Brakes.
34. Antilock Brakes.
VII. SUSPENSION AND STEERING.
35. Tires and Wheels.
36. Steering System Diagnosis and Service.
37. Suspension System Diagnosis and Service.
38. Wheel Alignment Principles, Diagnosis and Service.
VIII. MANUAL DRIVE TRAIN AND AXLES.
40. Manual Transmission/Transaxles.
41. Drive Shafts and CV Joints.
43. Four-Wheel Drive and All-Wheel Drive.
IX. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND TRANSAXLES.
44. Automatic Transmissions/Transaxles Principles.
45. Automatic Transmissions/Transaxles Diagnosis and Service.
Appendix 1. A1-Engine Repair (Sample ASE Test).
Appendix 2. A2-Automatic Transmission/Transaxel (Sample ASE Test).
Appendix 3. A3-Manual Drive Train and Axles (Sample ASE Test).
Appendix 4. A4-Suspension and Steering (Sample ASE Test).
Appendix 5. A5-Brakes (Sample ASE Test).
Appendix 6. A6-Electrical/Electronic Systems (Sample ASE Test).
Appendix 7. A7-Heating and Air Conditioning (Sample ASE Test).
Appendix 8. A8-Engine Performance (Sample ASE Test).