Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
The Bible Doesn't Say That explores what the Bible meant before it was misinterpreted over the past 2,000 years.
Acclaimed translator and biblical scholar Dr. Joel M. Hoffman walks the reader through dozens of mistranslations, misconceptions, and other misunderstandings about the Bible. In forty short, straightforward chapters, he covers morality, life-style, theology, and biblical imagery, including:
*The Bible doesn't call homosexuality a sin, and it doesn't advocate for the one-man-one-woman model of the family that has been dubbed "biblical."
*The Bible's famous "beat their swords into plowshares" is matched by the militaristic, "beat your plowshares into swords."
*The often-cited New Testament quotation "God so loved the world" is a mistranslation, as are the titles "Son of Man" and "Son of God."
*The Ten Commandments don't prohibit killing or coveting.
What does the Bible say about violence? About the Rapture? About keeping kosher? About marriage and divorce? Hoffman provides answers to all of these and more, succinctly explaining how so many pivotal biblical answers came to be misunderstood.
1. In the Beginning
3. Noahís Ark
4. Lifespans in the Old Testament
5. David and Goliath (and Elhanan and Goliath)
6. Jesusís Lineage
7. Jesusís Death
8. The Ten Commandments
10. God So Loved the World
11. The Truth Will Set You Free
12. Healing a Withered Hand
13. Godís Name
14. Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword
15. Dust and Ashes
16. Psalm 23
17. Heart and Soul
18. Unicorns and Dragons
20. Nations, Swords, and Plowshares
21. If Not by Bread Alone, Then by What Do People Live?
22. Who Is the Voice Crying in the Wilderness?
23. Old Testament Prophecies Fulfi lled in the New Testament
24. The Virgin Birth
25. Mosesís Horns
26. The Apple from the Garden of Eden
27. The Jubilee Year
28. The Son of Man and the Son of God
29. Keeping Kosher
30. The Rapture
37. Men and Women
Bible Citation Index