ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
David Krogh’s Biology: A Guide to the Natural World leads readers on a memorable journey through the world of biology, using relevant examples, clearly-developed illustrations, and helpful insights that will resonate with you.
The Technology Update features margin callouts in the text, directing you to a significantly more robust MasteringBiology program, introducing learning outcomes, book-specific animations, end-of-chapter material, new vocabulary activities, ABC News videos, and more.
Widely recognized as a book that students enjoy reading, David Krogh uses discussions about social concerns and health applications, along with streamlined EOC material, to help engage you with the chapter. To address different learning styles, clear illustrations and exercises are now reinforced with even more engaging and effective assignable problems in MasteringBiology ®.
0321943643 / 9780321943644 Biology: A Guide to the Natural World Technology Update with MasteringBiology with eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
0321946766 / 9780321946768 Biology: A Guide to the Natural World, Technology Update
0321948815 / 9780321948816 MasteringBiology with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Biology: A Guide to the Natural World Technology Update
David Krogh has been writing about science for 27 years in newspapers, magazines, books, and for educational institutions. He is the author of Smoking: The Artificial Passion, an account of the pharmacological and cultural motivations behind the use of tobacco, which was nominated for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize in Science and Technology. In 1994, he began work on what would become Biology: A Guide to the Natural World, and in 1999 he completed its first edition. Since then, he has produced three more editions of A Guide to the Natural World along with a second textbook, A Brief Guide to Biology. He holds bachelor’s degrees in journalism and history from the University of Missouri.
1. Science as a Way of Learning: A Guide to the Natural World
2. Fundamental Building Blocks: Chemistry, Water, and pH
3. Life’s Components: Biological Molecules
4. Life’s Home: The Cell
5. Life’s Border: The Plasma Membrane
6. Life’s Mainspring: An Introduction to Energy
7. Vital Harvest: Deriving Energy from Food
8. The Green World’s Gift: Photosynthesis
9. The Links in Life’s Chain: Genetics and Cell Division
10. Preparing for Sexual Reproduction: Meiosis
11. The First Geneticist: Mendel and His Discoveries
12. Units of Heredity: Chromosomes and Inheritance
13. Passing On Life’s Information: DNA Structure and Replication
14. How Proteins Are Made: Genetic Transcription, Translation, and Regulation
15. The Future Isn’t What It Used to Be: Biotechnology
16. An Introduction to Evolution: Charles Darwin, Evolutionary Thought, and the Evidence for Evolution
17. The Means of Evolution: Microevolution
18. The Outcomes of Evolution: Macroevolution
19. A Slow Unfolding: The History of Life on Earth
20. Arriving Late, Traveling Far: The Evolution of Human Beings
21. Viruses, Bacteria, Archaea, and Protists: The Diversity of Life 1
22. Fungi: The Diversity of Life 2
23. Animals: The Diversity of Life 3
24. Plants: The Diversity of Life 4
25. The Angiosperms: Form and Function in Flowering Plants
26: Body Support and Movement: The Integumentary, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
27. Communication and Control 1: The Nervous System
28. Communication and Control 2: The Endocrine System
29. Defending the Body: The Immune System
30. Transport and Exchange 1: Blood and Breath
31. Transport and Exchange 2: Digestion, Nutrition, and Elimination
32. An Amazingly Detailed Script: Animal Development
33. How the Baby Came to Be: Human Reproduction
34. An Interactive Living World 1: Populations in Ecology
35. An Interactive Living World 2: Communities in Ecology
36. An Interactive Living World 3: Ecosystems and Biomes