Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
In addition to Biology: Science for Life, Colleen and Virginia are co-authors of Biology: Science for Life Laboratory Manual.
Table of Contents
1. Can Science Cure the Common Cold? Introduction to the Scientific Method
I. Chemistry and Cells
2. Are We Alone in the Universe? Water, Biochemistry, and Cells
3. Is it Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport
4. Fat: How Much is Right for You? Enzymes, Metabolism, and Cellular Respiration
5. Life in the Greenhouse–Photosynthesis and Global Warming
6. Cancer–DNA Synthesis, Mitosis, and Meiosis
7. Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes? Mendelian and Quantitative Genetics
8. DNA Detective–Complex Patterns of Inheritance and DNA Fingerprinting
9. Genetically Modified Organisms–Gene Expression, Mutation, and Cloning
10. Where Did We Come From? The Evidence for Evolution
11. An Evolving Enemy–Natural Selection
12. Who am I? Species and Race
13. Prospecting for Biological Gold–Biodiversity and Classification
14. Is the Human Population Too Large? Population Ecology
15. Conserving Biodiversity–Community and Ecosystem Ecology
16. Where Do You Live? Climate and Biomes
V. Animal Structure and Function
17. Organ Donation–Tissues, Organs, and Organ Systems
18. Clearing the Air–Respiratory, Cardiovascular, and Urinary Systems
19. Vaccinations: Protection and Prevention or Peril? Immune System, Bacteria, Viruses, and Other Pathogens
20. Sex Differences and Athleticism–Endocrine, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
21. Is There Something in the Water? Reproductive and Developmental Biology
22. Attention Deficit Disorder–Brain Structure and Function
VI. Plant Biology
23. Feeding the World–Plant Structure and Growth
24. Growing a Green Thumb–Plant Physiology