Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Building on the strengths of the highly successful first edition, the extensively updated Blackwell Guide to Ethical Theory presents a complete state-of-the-art survey, written by an international team of leading moral philosophers.
- A new edition of this successful and highly regarded Guide, now reorganized and updated with the addition of significant new material
- Includes 21 essays written by an international team of leading philosophers
- Extensive, substantive essays develop the main arguments of all the leading viewpoints in ethical theory
- Essays new to this edition cover evolution and ethics, capability ethics, virtues and consequences, and the implausibility of virtue ethics
Hugh LaFollette is Marie and Leslie E. Cole Chair in Ethics, University of South Florida, St. Petersburg. He is editor-in-chief of the nine volume International Encyclopedia of Ethics (2013), and author of The Practice of Ethics (Blackwell, 2007) and Personal Relationships: Love, Identity, and Morality (Blackwell, 1995). He is co-author of Brute Science: The Dilemmas of Animal Experimentation (1996), and editor of several other volumes, including Ethics in Practice: An Anthology (third edition, Blackwell, 2007).
Ingmar Persson is Professor of Practical Philosophy, University of Gothenburg, and Distinguished Research Fellow, Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, University of Oxford. His publications include The Retreat of Reason (2005) and, together with Julian Savulescu, Unfit for the Future: The Need for Moral Enhancement (2012). He is now finishing From Morality to the End of Reason: An Essay on Rights, Reasons and Responsibility.
Table of Contents
Hugh LaFollette and Ingmar Persson
Part I Metaethics and Moral Epistemology
1 Moral Realism 17
2 Relativism 43
3 Moral Agreement 59
4 Divine Command Theory 81
Philip L. Quinn
5 Moral Intuition 103
Part II Factual Background of Ethics
6 Ethics and Evolution 123
7 Psychological Egoism 148
8 The Science of Ethics 169
Ron Mallon and John M. Doris
9 The Relevance of Responsibility to Morality 197
Part III Normative Ethics
10 Act-Utilitarianism 221
11 Rule-Consequentialism 238
12 Nonconsequentialism 261
13 Intuitionism 287
David McNaughton and Piers Rawling
14 Kantianism 311
Thomas E. Hill Jr
15 Contractarianism 332
16 Rights 354
17 Libertarianism 373
18 Virtue Ethics 394
19 Capability Ethics 412
20 Feminist Ethics 433
Alison M. Jaggar
21 Continental Ethics 461
William R. Schroeder