Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Structures are an essential element of the building process, yet one of the most difficult concepts for architects to grasp. While structural engineers do the detailed consulting work for a project, architects should have enough knowledge of structural theory and analysis to design a building. Building Structures Illustrated takes a new approach to structural design, showing how structural systems of a building—such as an integrated assembly of elements with pattern, proportions, and scale—are related to the fundamental aspects of architectural design. The book features a one-stop guide to structural design in practice, a thorough treatment of structural design as part of the entire building process, and an overview of the historical development of architectural materails and structure. Illustrated throughout with Ching's signature line drawings, this new Second Edition is an ideal guide to structures for designers, builders, and students.
- Updated to include new information on building code compliance, additional learning resources, and a new glossary of terms
- Offers thorough coverage of formal and spatial composition, program fit, coordination with other building systems, code compliance, and much more
- Beautifully illustrated by the renowned Francis D.K. Ching
Building Structures Illustrated, Second Edition is the ideal resource for students and professionals who want to make informed decisions on architectural design.
Francis D.K. Ching is a registered architect and Professor Emeritus at the University of Washington in Seattle. He is the bestselling author of numerous books on architecture and design, all published by Wiley. His works have been translated into more than sixteen languages and are regarded as classics for their renowned graphic presentation.
Barry S. Onouye is a registered engineer and Senior Lecturer Emeritus at the University of Washington, where he taught courses on structural design in the College of Built Environments. He is also the author of Statics and Strength of Materials for Architecture and Building Construction.
Douglas Zuberbuhler is a registered architect and Senior Lecturer Emeritus at the University of Washington, where he taught architectural design and graphics. He also served as chairman of the Department of Architecture and Associate Dean of the College of Built Environments.
Table of Contents
1 Building Structures 1
2 Structural Patterns 9
3 Horizontal Spans 89
4 Vertical Dimensions 147
5 Lateral Stability 197
6 Long-Span Structures 235
7 High-Rise Structures 277
8 Systems Integration 305