Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The second edition of The CALLA Handbook is a practical and research based methodology book for all teachers of students learning English as a new language. Each chapter has been updated to reflect new research, content-subject national standards, and adaptations of the CALLA model.
Features of the second edition
- An updated theoretical framework of CALLA, based on current second-language acquisition and learning theory research
- In-depth descriptions and examples for each component of the CALLA model: using content areas standards, developing academic language, and teaching learning strategies.
- A comprehensive analysis of the CALLA instructional sequence to help teachers plan and differentiate instruction
- Standardized test preparation and authentic, performance-based assessments
- Reproducible lesson plans and activities for using the CALLA model to enhance academic growth in English language arts, mathematics, science, and history/social studies
Anna Uhl Chamot, Ph.D., is a professor of secondary education and a faculty advisor for ESL at George Washington University’s Department of Teacher Preparation and Special Education. She is a researcher and teacher educator in content-based second-language learning and language-learning strategies. She has spent seven years implementing the CALLA model in K-12 public schools. Dr. Chamot is also an author of the Keystone and Cornerstone series.
Table of Contents
|What is CALLA?|
|The Content-Based Curriculum|
|Academic Language Development|
|Learning Strategy Instruction|
|Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluating CALLA Instruction|
|Assessing Student Progress in CALLA|
|Literacy Development in CALLA|
|Teaching English Language Art in CALLA|
|Teaching Mathematics in CALLA|
|Teaching Science in CALLA|
|Teaching History/Social Studies in CALLA|
|Table of Contents provided by Publisher. All Rights Reserved.|