Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
The Brief Text that Speaks the Language of Students Today
Choosing Health uses real-life applications, behavior change tools, and mobile technologies to speak to students better than any other brief personal health textbook. With its magazine-style design and inclusion of real student stories (both online and in the printed material), this text is the one that you can most relate to–and the one that will most inspire you to choose a healthy lifestyle.
Now included with Choosing Health , MasteringHealth™ is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment product designed to improve results by helping you quickly master concepts. Your can benefit from self-paced tutorials that feature immediate wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience to help keep you on track and prepared for lecture.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program presents a better teaching and learning experience–for you. It will help:
- Personalize learning with MasteringHealth: MasteringHealth coaches you through the toughest health topics. Engaging tools help you visualize, practice, and understand crucial content, from the basics of health to the fundamentals of behavior change.
- Become engaged with relatable student stories: Real student stories illustrate why you should care about your health.
- Bring content alive with integrated media: Health Online links throughout the text, student videos, and mobile technologies encourage you to take a more active role in improving their health.
- Encourage behavior change: Unique, practical tools like the new Choosing to Change Worksheets help you make informed decisions about your lifestyle choices.
- Make reading and learning about health accessible and visually appealing: A magazine-style design with more photos and visual appeal encourages you to read, while the conversational writing style is student-friendly without sacrificing academic rigor.
- Updated content such as the additional electronic chapters on sleep and environmental health provide important relevant information on topics.
0321911857 / 9780321911858 Choosing Health Plus MasteringHealth with eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
0321929659 / 9780321929655 Choosing
0321948629 / 9780321948625 MasteringHealth with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Choosing Health
Joan is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND; formerly the American Dietetic Association) and the Massachusetts Dietetic Association (MDA). She has been a presenter and Presiding Officer at both the AND Annual Meeting and the MDA Annual Convention, and was previously named MDA's “Young Dietitian of the Year,” MDA’s Outstanding Dietitian (2009), and ADA’s Outstanding Dietetic Educator (2007). Joan has served on the MDA board for more than a decade in many roles, including past MDA Director of Education and Nominating Committee Chairperson.
In addition to teaching and writing, Joan is an AND National Media Spokesperson, responsible for representing the association in the media and promoting its initiatives. Joan is often asked to translate complex nutritional issues in popular terms and has conducted more than 1,000 media interviews. Her nutrition segments can be seen regularly on Fox25 television in Boston. Joan is also the nutrition blogger for the Boston Globe’s Boston.com website.
Table of Contents
- What Is Nutrition?
- Tools for Healthy Eating
- The Basics of Digestion
- Carbohydrates: Sugar, Starches, and Fiber
- Fats, Oils, and Other Lipids
- Proteins and Amino Acids
- Minerals and Water
- Weight Management and Energy Balance
- Nutrition and Fitness
- Consumerism: From Farm to Table
- Food Safety and Technology
- Life Cycle Nutrition: Pregnancy Through Infancy
- Life Cycle Nutrition: Toddlers Through the Later Years
- Hunger at Home and Abroad
App A Calculations and Conversions
App B U.S. Exchange Lists for Meal Planning
App C Organizations and Resources