More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
Renting is easy, fast, and cheap! Renting from eCampus.com can save you hundreds of dollars compared to the cost of new or used books each semester. At the end of the semester, simply ship the book back to us with a free UPS shipping label! No need to worry about selling it back.
How do rental returns work?
Returning books is as easy as possible. As your rental due date approaches, we will email you several courtesy reminders. When you are ready to return, you can print a free UPS shipping label from our website at any time. Then, just return the book to your UPS driver or any staffed UPS location. You can even use the same box we shipped it in!
What version or edition is this?
This is the 2nd edition with a publication date of 7/13/2011.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Written in a clear, step-by-step style, this ideal teaching text makes cognitive therapy immediately accessible to students, beginning therapists, and seasoned practitioners who are not familiar with the cognitive approach. The author presents many clinical examples drawn from one patient's treatment to provide a realistic and coherent demonstration of cognitive therapy in action. These examples illustrate how to conceptualize patients according to the cognitive model; plan treatment; conduct an initial session; structure therapy within and across sessions; incorporate homework; and use cognitive and behavioral techniques. Instructors will appreciate the text's emphasis on formulating cases, making decisions within therapy sessions, diagnosing problems in therapy, and using advanced techniques to modify core beliefs and underlying assumptions. Transcripts in every chapter richly illustrate the narrative, and the book includes a variety of patient worksheets. This book will be of value to students and therapists learning how to use cognitive therapy. It will also serve as a text in advanced graduate and graduate clinical psychology and psychotherapy courses.
Judith S. Beck, PhD, is President of the Beck Institute for Cognitive Behavior Therapy (www.beckinstitute.org) and Clinical Associate Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. She has written nearly 100 articles and chapters as well as several books for professionals and consumers; has made hundreds of presentations, nationally and internationally, on topics related to CBT; and is the codeveloper of the Beck Youth Inventories and the Personality Belief Questionnaire. Dr. Beck is a founding fellow and past president of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Cognitive Therapy 2. Overview of Treatment 3. Cognitive Conceptualization 4. The Evaluation Session 5. Structure of the First Therapy Session 6. Behavioral Activation 7. Session 2 and Beyond: Structure and Format 8. Problems with Structuring the Therapy Session 9. Identifying Automatic Thoughts 10. Identifying Emotions 11. Evaluating Automatic Thoughts 12. Responding to Automatic Thoughts 13. Identifying and Modifying Intermediate Beliefs 14. Identifying and Modifying Core Beliefs 15. Additional Cognitive and Behavioral Techniques 16. Imagery 17. Homework 18. Termination and Relapse Prevention 19. Treatment Planning 20. Problems in Therapy 21. Progressing as a Cognitive Therapist Appendices Appendix A. Cognitive Case Write-Up Appendix B. Cognitive Therapy Resources Appendix C. Cognitive Therapy Rating Scale