Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- Includes 22 original essays by an international team of expert scholars
- Examines the social, intellectual, economic, cultural, and political changes that took place throughout Europe in the Cold War and Post Cold War periods
- Discusses a wide range of topics including the Single Market, European-American relations, family life and employment, globalization, consumption, political parties, European decolonization, European identity, security and defence policies, and Europe's fight against international terrorism
- Presents Europe in a broad geographical conception, to give equal weighting to developments in the Eastern and Western European states
Klaus Larres is the Richard M Krasno Distinguished Professor of History and International Affairs at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill in the U.S. He also is a Senior Fellow at the Center for Transatlantic Relations at the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) of Johns Hopkins University in Washington, DC.
Table of Contents
Notes on Contributors ix
Klaus Larres 1
PART I EUROPE IN TRANSITION: FROM WAR TO COLD WAR 5
1 From War to Cold War 7
2 Federalism and the Beginnings of European Union 25
PART II EUROPE AND THE COLD WAR WORLD 45
3 The Cold War: The Western European Perspective 47
4 The Soviet Bloc and the Cold War in Europe 67
5 Economic Developments in Western and Eastern Europe since 1945 95
6 The End of Empires: Decolonization and Its Repercussions 113
David R. Devereux
7 European Integration: From the Common Market to the Single Market 133
8 The United States and European Integration, 1945-1990 151
9 The Churches and Christianity in Cold War Europe 183
10 The End of the Cold War and the Unifi cation of the European Continent 208
PART III EUROPE SINCE 1990: POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENTS 229
11 Transatlantic Relations since the End of the Cold War: Permanent Alliance or Partnership in Peril? 231
12 Europe and Economic Globalization since 1945 249
Alfred E. Eckes Jr.
13 Economic Integration since Maastricht 270
14 Political Parties in Europe since 1945 302
15 The Genesis of a European Security and Defence Policy 323
16 Europe's Experience of Terrorism since 1945: A Brief Overview 355
PART IV EUROPE SINCE 1990: SOCIAL AND CULTURAL DEVELOPMENTS 367
17 The Quest for a European Identity: A Europe without Europeans? 369
18 Europe and Post-Cold War Nationalism 387
19 The Participatory Revolution: New Social Movements and Civil Society 407
20 Postwar Europe: A Continent Built on Migration 432
21 Changing Norms of Masculinity and Femininity: Development in Gender Relations and Family Structures in Europe 450
Laura den Dulk
22 Europe and the Welfare State since 1945 472
Steen P. Mangen