Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Marvin D'Lugo is Professor of Spanish and Adjunct Professor of Screen Studies at Clark University, Massachusetts where he teaches courses on Spanish and Latin-American cinema. He has published a number of books including Pedro Almodóvar (2006) in the University of Illinois Press’ Contemporary Film Directors series.
Kathleen M. Vernon is Associate Professor of Hispanic Languages and Literatures at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. She is author and editor of numerous studies on Spanish cinema and culture including Post-Franco, Postmodern: The Films of Pedro Almodóvar (1995).
Table of Contents
Marvin D’Lugo and Kathleen M. Vernon
1. Almodóvar’s Self-Fashioning: The Economics and Aesthetics of Deconstructive Biography
Paul Julian Smith
2. Creative Beginnings in Almodóvar’s Work
Francisco A. Zurián
3. Almodóvar and Hitchcock: A Sorcerer’s Apprenticeship
4. A Life, Imagined and Otherwise: The Limits and Uses of Autobiography in Almodóvar’s films
II. Spanish Contexts
5. El Deseo’s Itinerary: Almodóvar and the Spanish Film Industry
Marina Díaz López
6. Almodóvar and Spanish Patterns of Film Reception and Miguel Fernández
7. Memory, Politics and the Post-Transition in Almodóvar’s Cinema
Juan Carlos Ibáñez
8. The Ethics of Oblivion: Personal, National, and Cultural Memories in the Films of Pedro Almodóvar
Adrián Pérez Melgosa
III. At the Limits of Gender
9. Our Rapists Ourselves: Women and the Staging of Rape in the Cinema of Pedro Almodóvar
10. Paternity & Pathogens: Mourning Men and the Crises of Masculinity in Almodóvar
11. Domesticating Violence in the Films of Pedro Almodóvar
12. La piel que habito: A Story of Imposed Gender and the Struggle for Identity
Francisco A. Zurián
13. Reenvoicements and Reverberations in Almodóvar’s Macro-Melodrama
14. The Flower of his Secret: Carne trémula and the Mise en scene of Desire
15. Scratching the Past on the “Surface” of the“Skin:” Embodied Inter-subjectivity, Prosthetic Memory, and Witnessing in Almodóvar's La mala Educación
Julián Daniel and Gutiérrez-Albila
16. Almodóvar’s Stolen Images
V. Global Almodóvar
17. Women on the Verge of Nervous Breakdown: From Madrid (1988) to New York (2010)
18. Almodóvar’s Global Musical Marketplace
Kathleen M. Vernon
19. Almodóvar and Latin America: The Making of a Transnational Aesthetic in Volver
20. Is there a French Almodóvar?
21. Almodóvar in Asia: Hong Kong, Taiwan and LGBT Film Culture
VI. Art and Commerce
22. To the Health of the Author: Art Direction in Los abrazos rotos
John D. Sanderson
23. Making Spain Fashionable
24. Almodóvar, Cyberfandom and Participatory Culture