This text is highly regarded by both students and instructors for its superior conceptual approach to physics, chemistry, astronomy, and earth sciences. Working from the premise that students learn best from what they already know, the authors use many interesting analogies and everyday examples to clarify concepts. Consistent, high-quality coverage of all topics includes critical thinking exercises, review questions, and computational problems. Illustrations by geology artist Dennis Targa enhance a unique and well-known art program by Paul Hewitt and his co-authors.
Table of Contents
1. Motion. 2. Newton's Laws of Motion. 3. Momentum and Energy. 4. Gravity and Satellite Motion. 5. Fluid Mechanics.
6. Thermal Energy. 7. Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics.
III. ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM.
8. Electricity. 9. Magnetism.
IV. WAVES — SOUND AND LIGHT.
10. Sound Waves. 11. Light Waves. 12. Properties of Light.
V. THE ATOM.
13. Structure of the Atom. 14. The Atomic Nucleus.
15. Elements of Chemistry. 16. The Periodic Table. 17. Chemical Bonding. 18. Molecular Mixing. 19. Chemical Reactions. 20. Acid, Base, and Redox Reactions. 21. Organic Chemistry.
VII. EARTH SCIENCE.
22. Rocks and Minerals. 23. The Earth's Internal Properties. 24. Water and Surface Processes. 25. A Brief History of the Earth. 26. The Atmosphere, the Oceans, and Their Interactions. 27. Weather.
28. The Solar System. 29. The Stars. 30. Relativity and the Universe.