More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the edition with a publication date of 4/19/2013.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy has taught at the department of physics at Quaid-e-Azam University since 1973 and now also teaches at the School of Science and Engineering (LUMS). He received a PhD in nuclear physics from MIT, as well as degrees in mathematics, electrical engineering, and physics from MIT. He was awarded the Abdus Salam Prize for Mathematics, the Baker Award for Electronics, and the UNESCO Kalinga Prize for the popularization of science. His research interests lie in theoretical high-energy physics. He was a Council member of Pugwash, and is a sponsor of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. As an advocate of the scientific method, he authored 'Islam and Science: Religious Orthodoxy and the Battle for Rationality'. As producer and presenter, he made several documentary series for Pakistan Television aimed at popularizing science as well as for analyzing the Pakistani education system. He heads a book publishing organization in Lahore focusing on modern thought and human rights.
Table of Contents
1. Scientists and India's nuclear bomb - M.V. Ramana
2. The coming of the atomic age to Pakistan - Zia Mian
3. From zero to hundred: Pakistan's nuclear trajectory - Pervez Hoodbhoy
4. Making Kashmir a nuclear flashpoint - Pervez Hoodbhoy
5. Pakistan's divided divisions: can they protect the nuclear arsenal? - Pervez Hoodbhoy
6. The Bomb and East Pakistan - Pervez Hoodbhoy
7. From Islamic Bomb to Sunni Bomb? - Pervez Hoodbhoy
8. The infeasibility of early warning - Zia Mian, R. Rajaraman, and M.V. Ramana
9. The command and control of nuclear weapons - Zia Mian
10. Pakistan's battle-field use of nuclear weapons - Zia Mian and A.H. Nayyar
11. What nuclear war could do to South Asia - Matthew McKinzie, Zia Mian, A.H. Nayyar, and M.V. Ramana
12. Pakistan's nuclear diplomacy and the fissile materials cutoff treaty - Zia Mian and A.H. Nayyar
13. Speculations on the future of nuclear South Asia - Pervez Hoodbhoy and Zia Mian
14. America, global control, and global disarmament - Pervez Hoodbhoy and Zia Mian
15. For Pakistan nuclear electricity is not the answer - Pervez Hoodbhoy
16. For India nuclear electricity is not the answer - Suvrat Raju