Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Susan Blackmore is a writer, lecturer, and Visiting Professor at the University of Plymouth, UK. She is the author of Conversations on Consciousness (2006), A Very Short Introduction to Consciousness (2005), and The Meme Machine (1999), all published by Oxford University Press.
Table of Contents
*=New to this Edition
Boxes and Sidebars
Section One. The Problem
1. What's the Problem?
2. What Is It Like To Be . . .?
3. Conscious and Unconscious?
Section Two. The World
4. The Theater of the Mind
5. Attention and Timing
6. The Grand Illusion
Section Three. The Self
7. Egos, Bundles, and Multiple Selves
8. Theories of Self
9. Agency and Free Will
Section Four. The Brain
10. The Neural Correlates of Consciousness
11. The Unity of Consciousness
12. Damaged Brains
Section Five. Evolution
13. Evolution and Consciousness
14. The Function of Consciousness
15. Animal Minds
* Section Six. Artificial Consciousness
* 16. Minds and Machines
* 17. Could a Machine Be Conscious?
* 18. How to Build a Conscious Machine
Section Seven. Borderlands
19. Unconscious Processing
20. Reality and Imagination
21. The Paranormal
Section Eight. Altered States of Consciousness
22. Drugs and Altered States
23. Sleep, Dreams, and Hypnotic States
* 24. Exceptional Human Experience
Section Nine. First-Person Approaches
25. The View from Within
* 26. Meditation and Mindfulness
27. Waking Up