What is included with this book?
Analyzing art house films from the African continent and the African diaspora, this book showcases a new generation of auteurs with African origins from political, aesthetic, and spectatorship perspectives.
• Focuses on art house cinema and discusses commercial African cinema
• Enlarges our understanding of African film to include thematic and aesthetic influence
• Highlights aesthetic and political aspects including racial identity, women’s issues, and diaspora
• Heavily illustrated with over 90 film stills
• Features selected stills integral to the filmic analysis in full color
• Moves beyond Western-oriented analytical paradigms
Chapter 1 Introduction; Contemporary Cinema of Africa and the Diaspora: Parameters and Contexts
PART I: SPACE
Chapter 2 Walking in the City: Education of the Spectator in Harrikrisna Anenden's La Cathédrale
Chapter 3 Framing the City: Africanizing Viewer and Viewed through Angle, Distance, Genre, and Movement
PART II: CHARACTER
Chapter 4 Models of African Femininity
Chapter 5 African Masculinity: “We Don’t Need Another Hero” / Relentless Return of the Allegory
Chapter 6 Revolutionary Personhood: Revolutionize the Spectator, or Stop, Thief!
PART III: NARRATIVE
Chapter 7 Documentary Film: Situating a Style
Chapter 8 African Narration: Narration of Africa
Chapter 9 Jean-Marie Teno: Creating an African Repertoire
Chapter 10 Conclusion: Inside/Outside or How to Make a Film About Africa Today