What is included with this book?
Game programming offers a wealth of creative and business opportunities, and it’s never been more accessible. In Core HTML5 2D Game Programming, best-selling author David Geary shows you how to use freely available browser tools and open source resources to create video games that run in desktop browsers and on mobile devices.
Geary walks you step by step through every aspect of implementing a sophisticated arcade-style game entirely from scratch, without using proprietary game frameworks. Packed with code, this full-color tutorial gives you the in-depth understanding you need to design and build any kind of HTML5 2D game on your own, whether you use a framework or not.
A clearly written, accessible, and exhaustive guide to implementing games, this book leaves no stone unturned, showing you how to
Through expertly written code that’s easy to understand, and prose that cuts to the chase, Geary illuminates every corner of game development. Everyone from novice game programmers to professional game developers will find this book invaluable as both a tutorial and a reference.
All of the book’s source code, including chapter-specific versions of the game discussed in the book, are available at corehtml5games.com.
2. Setting Up
3. Graphics and Animation
4. CSS Transitions
5. Mobile Support
7. Sprite Behaviors
8. Time, Part I: Pausing, Freezing, and Thawing the Game
9. Time, Part II: Linear motion
10. Time, Part III: Non-linear motion
11. Time, Part IV: A time system
12. Collision Detection and Sprite Animations
13. Sound and Music
14. Physics: Falling from a Jump
15. Particle Systems: Smoke and Fire
17. On the Server: High Scores and In-Game Metrics
18. Finishing Touches: Scoreboard, High Score HUD, End-Game Sequence