Have there been developments in astronomy that have led you to teach some topics differently from how you learned them as a student? Are your students overwhelmed with the amount of information they need to learn in their astronomy class? Then consider the fresh approach of The Cosmic Perspective, Second Edition Media Update. Built from the ground up on our new understanding of the universe, this student-friendly text focuses on central ideas and unifying themes to provide a cosmic context. Scientific concepts are linked to everyday experience to help students develop an appreciation for the scientific method and to see how physics and astronomy are foundations for understanding their world, and recent discoveries spark students' curiosity in the universe as a whole. Following the widespread critical acclaim for the innovative interactive tutorials on The Astronomy Place, this Media Update includes a significantly expanded suite of tutorials. This Update also includes an electronic textbook CD-ROM, updated planetarium software, and an engaging media workbook. All these tools have been designed to help your students better understand the key concepts.
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE.
1. Our Place in the Universe.
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself.
S1. Celestial Timekeeping and Navigation.
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY.
3. The Science of Astronomy.
4. A Universe of Matter and Energy.
5. Universal Motion: From Copernicus to Newton.
6. Light: The Cosmic Messenger.
7. Telescopes and Spacecraft.
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS.
8. Formation of the Solar System.
9. Planetary Geology: Earth and the other Terrestrial Worlds.
10. Planetary Atmospheres: Earth and the other Terrestrial Worlds.
11. Jovian Planet Systems.
12. Remnants of Rock and Ice: Asteroids, Comets, and Pluto.
13. Planet Earth and Its Lessons on Life in the Universe.
IV. A DEEPER LOOK AT NATURE.
S2. Space and Time.
S3. Spacetime and Gravity.
S4. Building Blocks of the Universe.
V. STELLAR ALCHEMY.
14. Our Star.
16. Star Stuff.
17. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard.
VI. GALAXIES AND BEYOND.
18. Our Galaxy.
19. Galaxies: From Here to the Horizon.
20. Galaxy Evolution.
21. Dark Matter and the Fate of the Universe.
22. The Beginning of Time.
S5. Interstellar Travel and the Search for Extraterrestrial Civilizations.
Appendix A: Useful Numbers.
Appendix B: Useful Formulas.
Appendix C: A Few Mathematical Skills.
Appendix D: The Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix E: Planetary Data.
Appendix F: Stellar Data.
Appendix G: Galaxy Data.
Appendix H: Selected Astronomical Web Sites.
Appendix I: The 88 Constellations.
Appendix J: Star Charts.