Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Foreword by Judy Huber, Vice President, Distributed Data Servers and Data Warehousing; Director, IBM Canada Laboratory
This book covers everything you need to get productive with the latest version of IBM DB2 and apply it to today’s business challenges. It discusses key features introduced in DB2 Versions 10.5, 10.1, and 9.7, including improvements in manageability, integration, security, Big Data support, BLU Acceleration, and cloud computing.
DB2 Essentials illuminates key concepts with examples drawn from the authors’ extensive experience with DB2 in enterprise environments. Raul F. Chong and Clara Liu explain how DB2 has evolved, what’s new, and how to choose the right products, editions, and tools. Next, they walk through installation, configuration, security, data access, remote connectivity, and day-to-day administration.
Each chapter starts with an illustrative overview to introduce its key concepts using a big picture approach. Clearly explained figures are used extensively, and techniques are presented with intuitive screenshots, diagrams, charts, and tables. Case studies illustrate how “theory” is applied in real-life environments, and hundreds of review questions help you prepare for IBM’s newest DB2 certification exams.
• Understanding the role of DB2 in Big Data
• Preparing for and executing a smooth installation or upgrade
• Understanding the DB2 environment, instances, and databases
• Configuring client and server connectivity
• Working with database objects
• Getting started with BLU Acceleration
• Implementing security: authentication and authorization
• Understanding concurrency and locking
• Maintaining, backing up, and recovering data
• Using basic SQL in DB2 environments
• Diagnosing and solving DB2 problems
This book is for anyone who plans to work with DB2, including DBAs, system administrators, developers, and consultants. It will be a great resource whether you’re upgrading from an older version of DB2, migrating from a competitive database, or learning your first database platform.
Clara Liu was recently appointed to be the Program Manager of IBM Cross Brand Technical Initiatives. She manages leading edge strategic projects across IBM brands. Her prior management role was with the DB2 Planning team. Her previous consulting experience gave her an insight and solid understanding of customers’ needs. Based on market demand, competition pressure, and objectives of maximizing return of investment, she drives software enhancements into the product with the right balance between leading edge technology and business needs. In many DB2, Warehouse, PureData Systems versions and releases, Clara held key responsibilities such as planning product enhancements, managing product offer portfolio and license entitlement, making software available on fulfillment systems for customers, and planning for smooth migration paths for customers when products reach end of life. Over the years, she delivered many product hands-on and video demonstrations with her team. Those are great assets for the IBM Sales and Marketing team and customers who want to ‘see’ and ‘play’ with the technologies. Due to the board involvement in numerous phases of the database product life cycle, Clara has established great networking within the development organization as well as across the business teams. As a mother of two, Clara had coauthored five books (including this one), all focusing in her technical expertise, DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows.
Table of Contents
2. DB2 at a Glance: The Big Picture
3. Installing DB2
4. Using Administration and Database Development Tools and Utilities
5. Understanding the DB2 Environment, DB2 Instances, and Databases
6. Configuring Client and Server Connectivity
7. The DB2 Storage Model
8. Working with Database Objects
9. Leveraging the Power of SQL and XQuery
10. Implementing Security
11. Understanding Concurrency and Locking
Appendix A. Solutions to the Review Questions
Appendix B. Use of Uppercase Versus Lowercase in DB2 Resources