More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Documents of the Christian Churchby Unknown
Oxford University Press, USA
In Stock Usually Ships in 24 Hours.
Usually Ships in 3-5 Business Days
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
Renting is easy, fast, and cheap! Renting from eCampus.com can save you hundreds of dollars compared to the cost of new or used books each semester. At the end of the semester, simply ship the book back to us with a free UPS shipping label! No need to worry about selling it back.
How do rental returns work?
Returning books is as easy as possible. As your rental due date approaches, we will email you several courtesy reminders. When you are ready to return, you can print a free UPS shipping label from our website at any time. Then, just return the book to your UPS driver or any staffed UPS location. You can even use the same box we shipped it in!
What version or edition is this?
This is the 4th edition with a publication date of 11/15/2011.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
This selection of writings from the most important moments in the history of Christianity has become established as a classic reference work, providing insights into 2000 years of Christian theological and political debate. While retaining the original material selected by Henry Bettenson, Chris Maunder has added a substantial section of more recent writings. These illustrate the Second Vatican Council; the theologies of liberation; Church and State from 'Thatcher's Britain' to Communist Eastern Europe; Black, feminist, and ecological theology; ecumenism; and inter-faith dialogue. The emphasis on moral debate in the contemporary churches is reflected in selections discussing questions about homosexuality, divorce, AIDS, and in-vitro fertilization, amongst other issues. This further expanded fourth edition brings the anthology up-to-date with a new section looking at issues facing the twenty-first century churches. This includes extracts exploring the churches' responses to questions of social justice, international politics, trade and debt, environmental change, and technological development. New material also covers the global growth of Christianity, the progress of Christian unity, and mission in multi-faith and postmodern societies.
Table of Contents
I: The Early Church (to the Council of Chalcedon, 451)
1. The Church and the World
3. The Earliest Testimony to the Gospels
4. The Person and Work of Christ
5. The Problem of the Relation of the Divinity and the Humanity in Christ
6. Pelagianism. Human Nature, Sin, and Grace
7. The Church, the Ministry, and the Sacraments
8. The Authority of the Holy See
9. Doctrine and Development. The Vincentian Canon
10. Christian Inscriptions
II: From the Council of Chalcedon to the Present
1. From Chalcedon to the Breach between East and West
2. The Empire and the Papacy
3. Monasticism and the Friars
4. The Church and Heresy
5. The Conciliar Movement
7. The Church in England until the Reformation
8. The Reformation on the Continent
9. The Reformation in England
10. The Roman Catholic Church from the Counter-Reformation to the Second Vatican Council
11. The British Churches in the Seventeenth Century
12. The British Churches in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries
13. The Roman Catholic Church at the Second Vatican Council
14. The Twentieth-Century World Churches: Justice, Peace, and the Environment
15. The Twentieth-Century World Churches and Inter-Faith Dialogue
16. The Twentieth-Century Churches and Christian Unity
17. The Twentieth-Century Churches: Sexuality and Procreation
18. Issues facing the Twentieth-Century Churches