This best-selling K-8 math methods text has the most coverage of the NCTM standards, the strongest coverage of middle school mathematics, and the highest student approval of any other text on the market. Elementary and Middle School Mathematics provides an unparalleled depth of ideas and discussion to help students develop a real understanding of the mathematics they will teach. John Van de Walle is one of the foremost experts on how children learn mathematics, and 80 percent of students keep his book for reference when they enter the classroom. The text reflects the NCTM Principles and Standards and the benefits of constructivistor student-centeredmathematics instruction. Moreover, it is structured for maximum flexibility, offering 24 brief, compartmentalized chapters that may be mixed and matched to fit any course or teaching approach.
I. TEACHING MATHEMATICS: FOUNDATIONS AND PERSPECTIVES.
1. Teaching Mathematics in the Context of the Reform Movement.
2. Exploring What It Means to Do Mathematics.
3. Developing Understanding in Mathematics.
4. Teaching Through Problem Solving.
5. Building Assessment into Instruction.
6. Planning in the Problem-Based Classroom.
7. Teaching All Children Mathematics.
8. Technology and School Mathematics.
II. DEVELOPMENT OF MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS AND PROCEDURES.
9. Developing Early Number Concepts and Number Sense.
10. Developing Meanings for the Operations.
11. Helping Children Master the Basic Facts.
12. Whole-Number Place-Value Development.
13. Strategies for Whole-Number Computation.
14. Computational Estimation with Whole Numbers.
15. Developing Fraction Concepts.
16. Computation with Fractions.
17. Decimal and Percent Concepts and Decimal Computation.
18. Developing Concepts of Ratio and Proportion.
19. Developing Measurement Concepts.
20. Geometric Thinking and Geometric Concepts.
21. Exploring Concepts of Data Analysis and Probability.
22. Algebraic Reasoning.
23. Exploring Functions.
24. Developing Concepts of Exponents, Integers, and Real Numbers.
Appendix A. Principles and Standards for School Mathematics: Content Standards and Grade Level Expectations.
Appendix B. Professional Standards for Teaching Mathematics: Teaching Standards.