Engineering Your Future is an authoritative guide to the academic expectations and professional opportunities in engineering, a field that is both academically rigorous and creatively demanding. Today's engineering students are faced with endless career opportunities. This text clarifies those options and directs students down the path to a rewarding career in the engineering field.
Engineering Your Future: A Brief Introduction to Engineering, Fifth Edition, is a concise and inexpensive version of Engineering Your Future: A Comprehensive Introduction to Engineering, Eighth Edition. Containing the eleven most popular chapters from its parent text, this brief version offers the best option for instructors looking for a solid base from which to work while they incorporate outside projects or assignments.
A companion website for the book, containing PowerPoint-based lecture notes and images from the book for professors, is available online at www.oup.com/us/oakes.
* Introduces students to the broad spectrum of engineering disciplines, with up-to-date data on degrees granted, employment opportunities, and salaries
* Highlights the ethical responsibilities of engineers
* Focuses on developing problem-solving and communication skills that are critical to success both in the classroom and in the working world
* Introduces a design methodology that can be used immediately and in subsequent design courses
* Provides a handy review of units and conversions, mathematics, and engineering fundamentals
New to this Edition
* A new Appendix A features "Nine Excel Skills Every Engineering Student Should Know"
* Chapter 9 on technical communication skills has been completely revised and updated
* Updated statistics for the job market provide critical data to help inform students' career decisions