Jay H. Withgott
Jay H. Withgott is a science and environmental writer with a background in scientific research and teaching. He holds degrees from Yale University, the University of Arkansas, and the University of Arizona. As a researcher, he has published scientific papers on topics in ecology, evolution, animal behavior, and conservation biology in journals including Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, Evolution, and Animal Behavior. He has taught university-level laboratory courses in ecology, ornithology, vertebrate diversity, anatomy, and general biology.
As a science writer, Jay has authored articles for a variety of journals and magazines including Science, New Scientist, BioScience, Smithsonian, Current Biology, Conservation in Practice, and Natural History. He combines his scientific expertise with his past experience as a reporter and editor for daily newspapers to make science accessible and engaging for general audiences.
Jay lives with his wife, biologist Susan Masta, in Portland, Oregon.
Scott Brennan has taught environmental science, ecology, resource policy, and journalism at Western Washington University and at Walla Walla Community College. He has also worked as a journalist, photographer, and consultant.
I. FOUNDATIONS OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
1. Science and Sustainability:An Introduction to Environmental Science
2. Earth’s Physical Systems: Matter, Energy, and Geology
3. Evolution, Biodiversity, and Population Ecology
4. Species Interactions and Community Ecology
5. Environmental Systems and Ecosystem Ecology
6. Environmental Ethics and Economics: Values and Choices
7. Environmental Policy: Decision Making and Problem Solving
II. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE SEARCH FOR SOLUTIONS
8. Human Population
9. Soil and Agriculture
10. Agriculture, Biotechnology, and the Future of Food
11. Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
12. Forests, Their Management, and Parks and Protected Areas
13. The Urban Environment: Creating Livable and Sustainable Cities
14. Environmental Health and Toxicology
15. Freshwater Systems and Resources
16. Marine and Coastal Systems and Resources
17. Atmospheric Science and Air Pollution
18. Global Climate Change
19. Fossil Fuels, Their Impacts, and Energy Conservation
20. Conventional Energy Alternatives
21. New Renewable Energy Alternatives
22. Managing Our Waste
23. Minerals and Mining
24. Sustainable Solutions