Your order must be $59 or more to qualify for free economy shipping.
Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace items, eBooks and apparel do not qualify for this offer.
Get Rewarded for Ordering Your Textbooks!Enroll Now
Customer ReviewsRead Reviews
Write a Review
List Price: $91.67
Built from the ground up on our new understanding of the universe, this reader-friendly book focuses on central ideas and unifying themes to provide a concise cosmic context. Scientific concepts are linked to everyday experience to help readers develop an appreciation for the scientific method and to see how physics and astronomy are foundations for understanding their world. Recent discoveries spark readers' curiosity in the universe as a whole. Updates include discoveries such as the accelerating universe/cosmological constant, the detection of more planets around other stars, the potential of water flow on Mars, and the latest theories on the very early universe. For college instructors and students, or anyone interested in astronomy and physics.
Table of Contents
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE.
1. Our Place in the Universe. 2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself.
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY.
3. The Science of Astronomy. 4. A Universe of Matter and Energy. 5. Universal Motion. 6. Telescopes and Spacecraft.
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS.
7. Formation of the Solar System. 8. The Terrestrial Worlds. 9. Jovian Planet Systems. 10. Remnants of Rock and Ice: Asteroids, Comets, and Pluto. 11. Planet Earth and Its Lessons on Life in the Universe.
IV. STELLAR ALCHEMY.
12. Our Star. 13. Stars. 14. Star Stuff. 15. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard.
V. GALAXIES AND BEYOND.
16. Our Galaxy. 17. A Universe of Galaxies. 18. Dark Matter and the Fate of the Universe. 19. The Beginning of Time. 20. Interstellar Travel and the Search for Extraterrestrial Civilizations.
Appendix A: Useful Numbers. Appendix B: Useful Formulas. Appendix C: A Few Mathematical Skills. Appendix D: The Periodic Table of the Elements. Appendix E: Planetary Data. Appendix F: Stellar Data. Appendix G: Galaxy Data. Appendix H: Selected Astronomical Web Sites. Appendix I: The 88 Constellations. Appendix J: Star Charts. Glossary. Acknowledgments & Credits. Index.