Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Guided by the belief that students must first understand the origins of American government to fully understand the issues facing the United States today, this market-leading text offers the strongest coverage of both history and current events of any college textbook devoted to American politics.
Updated in a new 10th edition, Essentials of American Government provides the historical context students need to understand our government and the most crucial and controversial issues affecting the nation in the 21st century.
This bestselling book has been extensively revised to provide in-depth coverage of President Barack Obamaís first two years in office and the 111th Congress, the 2010 congressional elections, continued concerns related to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and domestic concerns related to health care reform and the economy.
Table of Contents
I. FOUNDATIONS OF GOVERNMENT
1. The Political Landscape
2. The Constitution
4. Civil Liberties
5. Civil Rights
II. INSTITUTIONS OF GOVERNMENT
7. The Presidency
8. The Executive Branch and the Federal Bureaucracy
9. The Judiciary
III. POLITICAL BEHAVIOR.
10. Public Opinion and the News Media
11. Political Parties and Interest Groups
12. Elections, Campaigns, and Voting
IV. PUBLIC POLICY
13. Social and Economic Policy
14. Foreign and Defense Policy
The Declaration of Independence
Federalist No. 10
Federalist No. 51
Federalist No. 78
Presidents, Congresses, and Chief Justices: 1789-2010