Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
A Bestseller Revitalized with a Modern Design and Robust Media
Now in its Eleventh Edition, the best-selling Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology continues to set the standard for one-semester A&P texts. With her hallmark clear and friendly writing style and meaningful analogies, Elaine Marieb emphasizes the relevance of anatomy & physiology to your life and future career. Now fully integrated with MasteringA&P®, the book continues to offer just the right balance of anatomy, physiology, and clinical coverage to make the content complete, but not overwhelming. New clinical photos in the Homeostatic Imbalance feature help you visualize diseases and disorders and new integrated Concept Links help you make connections across topics and body systems. A new, more modern design makes the book more accessible than ever, and new specific references to MasteringA&P direct you to study tools and resources that reinforce your understanding of chapter concepts.
Written specifically for the one-semester course, this text presents a superior teaching and learning experience for you. The program allows you to:
- Personalize learning with MasteringA&P: MasteringA&P provides you with engaging experiences that coach you through tough topics in A&P, with tools that help you visualize, practice, and understand A&P.
- Bring A&P concepts to life and provide real-world context: A dramatic art and photo program features 3-D anatomy illustrations, process figures with descriptive step text, realistic bone art, illustrated tables, and new clinical photographs in the Homeostatic Imbalance feature.
- Help with Studying and Retaining Information: Effective pedagogy, including new Concept Links, Did You Get It? concept check questions, figure questions, and end-of-chapter review questions help you study and retain the information you need.
Dr. Marieb’s commitment to students extends beyond teaching and writing. Recognizing the challenges students face, Dr. Marieb contributes to the New Directions Program at Holyoke Community College by funding a staffed drop-in center and by providing several full-tuition scholarships each year for women who are returning to college after a hiatus or attending college for the first time. She also funds the E.N. Marieb Science Research Awards at Mount Holyoke College (which promotes research by undergraduate science majors) and has underwritten renovation and updating of one of the biology labs in Mount Holyoke’s Clapp Laboratory. Recognizing the severe national shortage of nursing faculty, Dr. Marieb also underwrites the Nursing Scholars of the Future Grant Program at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. In 1994, Dr. Marieb received the Benefactor Award from the National Council for Resource Development, American Association of Community Colleges, which recognizes her ongoing sponsorship of student scholarships, faculty teaching awards, and other academic contributions to Holyoke Community College. In May 2000, the science building at Holyoke Community College was named in her honor.
Dr. Marieb is an active member of the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS) and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Additionally, while actively engaged as an author, Dr. Marieb serves as a consultant for the Pearson Education Interactive Physiology® CD-ROM series. This text–Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology, Eleventh Edition–is the latest expression of her commitment to the needs of the students pursuing the study of A&P.
When not involved in academic pursuits, Dr. Marieb is a world traveler and has vowed to visit every country on this planet. Shorter term, she serves on the board of directors of the famed Marie Selby Botanical Gardens and on the scholarship committee of the Women’s Resources Center of Sarasota County. She is an enthusiastic supporter of the local arts and enjoys a competitive match of doubles tennis.
Table of Contents
1. The Human Body: An Orientation
2. Basic Chemistry
3. Cells and Tissues
4. Skin and Body Membranes
5. The Skeletal System
6. The Muscular System
7. The Nervous System
8. Special Senses
9. The Endocrine System
11. The Cardiovascular System
12. The Lymphatic System and Body Defenses
13. The Respiratory System
14. The Digestive System and Body Metabolism
15. The Urinary System
16. The Reproductive System