Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Ethics for the Legal Professional, 8e by Deborah Orlik sets the standard for professional responsibility textbooks. Written for the paralegal, its upbeat tone encourages students to stay engaged in the reading. Margin “Challenge Assignments” invite students to research and apply their own state laws to common ethical problems. Video cases are available online and offer a contemporary approach to class discussion. Additional cases and vignettes fill each chapter and help students apply concepts to real situations. This edition includes more on online self-testing and research assignments, while referencing the latest case law for each of the 50 states. With its lively narrative and state-specific approach, this book tackles important ethical issues and builds marketable research and critical-thinking skills.
Table of Contents
1. Regulation of the Legal Profession
2. Unauthorized Practice of Law
4. Conflicts of Interest—The Duty of Loyalty
5. Advertising and Solicitation
6. Fair Fees and Client Trust Accounts
7. Competence and Negligence
8. The Duty of Diligent Representation
9. The Umbrella Duty of Integrity
APPENDIX A: NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LEGAL ASSISTANTS CODE OF ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
APPENDIX B: NALS CODE OF ETHIDS
APPENDIX C: NATIONAL FEDERATION OF PARALEGAL ASSOCIATIONS, INC. MODEL CODE OF ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
APPENDIX D: RULES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT
APPENDIX E: ABA MODEL TO CALIFORNIA RULE TRANSLATION
Video Case Index
UPL: When friends ask for help
UPD: Helping the Client without Practicing Law
UPL: Traditional Exceptions
UPL: Interviewing the Client
UPL: Working with a Witness
UPL: Working with Experts
UPL: Improper Supervision
UPL: Helping the Client Fill Out forms
Privilege Issue: Misdirected E-mail
Confidentiality: Need to Know Circle
Confidentiality: Public Information
Confidentiality: Disclosure of Damaging Information
Confidentiality: Family Exception?
Conflict of Interest: Relationships with Clients
Conflict of Interest: Independent Paralegal
UPL: Disclosure of Status (Misrepresentation)
Fees and Fair Billing: Contemporaneous Timekeeping
Fees and Fair Billing: Using Time Effectively
Zealous Representation: When You Are Asked to Lie
Zealous Representation: Handling Evidence
Zealous Representation: Gifts to Judges