Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
The first European edition of Francis DK Ching’s classic visual guide to the basics of building construction.
For nearly four decades, the US publication Building Construction Illustrated has offered an outstanding introduction to the principles of building construction. This new European edition focuses on the construction methods most commonly used in Europe, referring largely to UK Building Regulations overlaid with British and European, while applying Francis DK Ching’s clear graphic signature style. It provides a coherent and essential primer, presenting all of the basic concepts underlying building construction and equipping readers with useful guidelines for approaching any new materials or techniques they may encounter.
European Building Construction Illustrated provides a comprehensive and lucid presentation of everything from foundations and floor systems to finish work. Laying out the material and structural choices available, it provides a full understanding of how these choices affect a building′s form and dimensions. Complete with more than 1000 illustrations, the book moves through each of the key stages of the design process, from site selection to building components, mechanical systems and finishes.
- Illustrated throughout with clear and accurate drawings that effectively communicate construction processes and materials
- Provides an overview of the mainstream construction methods used in Europe
- Based around the UK regulatory framework, the book refers to European level regulations where appropriate.
- References leading environmental assessment methods of BREEAM and LEED, while outlining the Passive House Standard
- Includes emerging construction methods driven by the sustainability agenda, such as structural insulated panels and insulating concrete formwork
- Features a chapter dedicated to construction in the Middle East, focusing on the Gulf States
Mark Mulville is Academic Leader of the MSc Portfolio in the School of Architecture, Design and Construction (Department of Property and Construction Management) at the University of Greenwich. A Chartered Architectural Technologist, he has worked in professional architectural practice and technical consultancy roles in Ireland, the UK and Australia. Mark’s research interests focus on building performance in relation to comfort, health and efficiency and the adaptation and rehabilitation of existing buildings.
Table of Contents
1 The Building Site
2 The Building
3 Foundation Systems
4 Floor Systems
5 Wall Systems
6 Roof Systems
7 Moisture & Thermal Protection
8 Doors & Windows
9 Special Construction
10 Finish Work
11 Mechanical & Electrical Systems
12 Notes on Materials
13 Construction in the Middle East