Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Featuring 25% new and updated content, Fitness For Dummies, 4th Edition, delivers the latest and greatest in get-fit information. With the help of fitness professionals, readers can learn to set, and achieve, realistic fitness goals without breaking the bank.
The latest and greatest in getting and staying fit!
Interested in a leaner, fitter you? Fitness For Dummies provides the latest information and advice for properly shaping, conditioning, and strengthening your body to enhance overall fitness and health. With the help of fitness experts Suzanne Schlosberg and Liz Neporent, you'll learn to set and achieve realistic fitness goals and get the most out of your workouts!
- Create a plan — assess your current fitness level and make a plan to incorporate cardio, strength, flexibility, and balance exercises
- Stay motivated — discover how to keep a workout log, mix up your exercise routine, and more
- Bring it home — get helpful guidance on designing a home gym, from setting up your workout space to deciding which equipment suits your needs and budget
- Keep yourself current — avoid the mumbo jumbo of fitness "crazes" and find out where to get the latest and most trustworthy information to stay educated
Open the book and find:
- The 4-1-1 on nutrition basics
- How to measure your strength and fitness level
- Tips to avoid common injuries
- How to choose from all the digital workout options
- Guidance on setting up a home gym
- Sample cardio and strength-training programs
- Exercises for all ages and life stages
- Get in shape and stay that way
- Set realistic goals and stick with your program
- Stay motivated with social and digital support sources
Liz Neporent is a health and fitness expert and correspondent for ABC National News. She is a frequent contributor to Shape, Self, and Fitness magazines.
Table of Contents
Part I: Getting Your Butt off the Couch.
Chapter 1: Establishing Your Plan of Attack.
Chapter 2: Testing Your Fitness.
Chapter 3: Watching What You Eat: Nutrition Basics.
Chapter 4: Educating Yourself.
Chapter 5: This Doesn't Have to Happen to You: Avoiding Common Injuries.
Part II: Going Cardio.
Chapter 6: Cardio Crash Course: Getting the Right Intensity.
Chapter 7: Creating a Cardio Program.
Chapter 8: Using Cardio Machines.
Chapter 9: Exercising Outdoors.
Part III: Building Muscle and Strengthening Bone.
Chapter 10: Why You’ve Gotta Lift Weights.
Chapter 11: Your Muscles: Love 'Em or Lose 'Em.
Chapter 12: Demystifying Strength Equipment.
Chapter 13: Designing a Strength-Training Program.
Part IV: Limbering Up with Flexibility, Balance, and Mind-Body Exercise.
Chapter 14: Flexibility Training: Getting the Scoop on Stretching.
Chapter 15: Finding Your Balance.
Chapter 16: All about Yoga.
Chapter 17: Getting the Lowdown on Pilates.
Part V: Getting Fit in Health Clubs and Home Gyms.
Chapter 18: Choosing and Using a Gym.
Chapter 19: Designing Your Home Gym.
Chapter 20: Hiring a Trainer.
Chapter 21: Choosing an Exercise Class or Digital Workout.
Part VI: Exercising for All Ages and Stages.
Chapter 22: Fit Pregnancy: Exercising for Two.
Chapter 23: Getting Kids Fit.
Chapter 24: Staying Active as You Age.
Part VII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 25: Ten Great Reasons to Break a Sweat.
Chapter 26: Ten Fantastic Fitness Investments.