Proven methods for preventing and mitigating bridge and highway flood scour
Offering detailed guidelines on bridge scour countermeasures, this comprehensive resource provides a proactive strategy for the design and construction of bridges to prevent scour, as well as a reactive plan for post-flood disaster management.
Topics discussed include erosion, causes of scour, AASHTO design codes, hydrology, hydraulics, scour analysis, inspection methods, and modern materials technology. Real-world case studies illustrate the concepts presented. The authoritative information in this practical guide will help you to develop more efficient and cost-effective design processes and bridge management systems for river bridges subjected to floods.
Flood Scour for Bridges and Highways covers:
- Floods, scour problems, and mitigation
- River instability caused by flow obstructions
- Past failures and bridges vulnerable to failure
- Geotechnical and hydraulic issues at scour-critical rivers and bridges
- Hydrology, floods, and scour-critical bridges
- Estimating scour depths and selecting applicable countermeasures
- Inspections, ratings, and monitoring countermeasures
- FHWA, HEC-18, and HEC-23 scour countermeasures as remediation
- Innovative methods of flood control and disaster management