The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The Used and Rental copies of this book are not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
Connect is the only integrated learning system that empowers students by continuously adapting to deliver precisely what they need, when they need it, how they need it, so that your class time is more engaging and effective. Talaro/Chess: Foundations in Microbiology is an allied health microbiology text for non-science majors with a taxonomic approach to the disease chapters. It offers an engaging and accessible writing style through the use of tools such as case studies and analogies to thoroughly explain difficult microbiology concepts. The newest of these features includes the Secret World of Microbes and Quick Search. We are so excited to offer a robust learning program with student-focused learning activities, allowing the student to manage their learning while you easily manage their assessment. Revised art and updated photos help concepts stand out. Detailed reports show how your assignments measure various learning objectives from the book (or input your own!), levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy or other categories, and how your students are doing. The Talaro Learning program will save you time while improving your students success in this course.
Users who purchase Connect receive access to the full online ebook version of the textbook, including SmartBook!
Table of Contents
1. The Main Themes of Microbiology
2. The Chemistry of Biology
3. Tools of the Laboratory: Methods of Studying Microorganisms
4. A Survey of Prokaryotic Cells and Microorganisms
5. A Survey of Eukaryotic Cells and Microorganisms
6. An Introduction to Viruses
7. Microbial Nutrition, Ecology, and Growth
8. An Introduction to Microbial Metabolism: The Chemical Crossroads of Life
9. Microbial Genetics
10. Genetic Engineering: A Revolution in Molecular Biology
11. Physical and Chemical Agents for Microbial Control
12. Drugs, Microbes, Host--The Elements of Chemotherapy
13. Microbe-Human Interactions: Infection and Disease
14. An Introduction to Host Defenses and Innate Immunities
15. Adaptive, Specific Immunity and Immunization
16. Disorders in Immunity
17. Procedures for Identifying Pathogens and Diagnosing Infections
18. The Gram-Positive and Gram-Negative Cocci of Medical Importance
19. The Gram-Positive Bacilli of Medical Importance
20. The Gram-Negative Bacilli of Medical Importance
21. Miscellaneous Bacterial Agents of Disease
22. The Fungi of Medical Importance
23. The Parasites of Medical Importance
24. Introduction to Viruses That Infect Humans: The DNA Viruses