Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
I. Effective Thinking.
1. Creative and Critical Thinking.
2. Critical Thinking Basics.
3. Critical Thinking and Reasoning.
II. Writing College Essays.
4. Preparing to Write an Essay.
5. The Composing Process: Prewriting and Informal Planning.
6. Writing a Thesis Statement and a Formal Plan.
7. Writing Paragraphs for a Rough Draft.
8. Responses to a Rough Draft: Instructor and Peer Comments.
9. Revising a Rough Draft: Structure, Paragraphs, and Sentences.
10. Preparing to Submit an Essay.
III. Development Patterns.
11. Description: Rendering Experience.
12. Narration: Connecting Events.
13. Examples: Illustrating Experience.
14. Comparison: Showing Similarities and Differences.
15. Cause and Effect: Exploring Reasons and Results.
16. Process Analysis: Explaining Step by Step.
17. Classification and Division: Analyzing and Arranging Experience.
18. Definition: Creating Impressions.
19. Argument: Convincing Others.
IV. The Research Essay.
20. Finding and Researching a Topic.
21. Evaluating Internet Resources.
22. Writing the Research Essay.
23. Documenting Sources in a Research Essay.
MLA Style Documentation.
APA Style Documentation.
V. Writing for Other Purposes.
24. Writing about Literature.
25. Writing about Images.
26. Writing for an Essay Exam.
27. Writing for Business: Letters, Resumes, Memos, FAXes, and E-Mail.
VI. READINGS FOR WRITERS.
28. Critical Reading.
* = new reading
Critical Reading Phases
Barbara Ehrenreich, In Defense of Talk Shows
Essays for Study
* Buzz Bissinger, Innocents Afield
Judy Brady, I Want a Wife
Judith Ortiz Cofer, The Myth of the Latin Woman
Gretel Ehrlich, About Men.
* Joseph Epstein, What Is a Snob?
Neal Gabler, How Urban Myths Reveal Society's Fears.
George Gilder, Why Men Marry.
Ellen Goodman, Becoming Desensitized to Hate Words.
Ros Del Castillo Guilbault, Americanization Is Tough on “Macho.”
Pete Hamill, Crack and the Box.
* Gilbert Highet, Subway Station
* Barbara Huttmann, A Crime of COmpassion
John Kifner, Good as a Gun: When Cameras Define War.
Stephen King, Why We Crave Horror Movies.
* Robert Kubey & Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Television Addiction Is No Mere Metaphor
Michael Levin, The Case for Torture.
* Audre Lord, The Fourth of July
William Lutz, Doublespeak.
David G. Meyers, Do We Fear the Right Things?
George Orwell, Politics and the English Language
Katha Pollitt, Adam and Steve—Together Again
* Anna Quindlen, Newcomers by Number
Stephen Rose, Proud To Be a Speciesist.
Robert J. Samuelson, Technology in Revers
* Christie Scotty. Can I Get You Some Manners with That?
* Michael Shermer, Powerful Pull of Belief
Brent Staples, Black Men and Public Places.
Amy Tan, Mother Tongue.
Deborah Tannen, Sex, Lies, and Conversation
Lewis Thomas, On Natural Death
Henry David Thoreau, Why I Went to the Woods
Garry Trudeau, Anatomy of a Joke. .
Mark Twain, The Damned Human Race.
VII. WRITER'S HANDBOOK.