The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
Helping teachers move beyond fluency as measured by speed alone, this book focuses on building the skills that students need to read accurately, meaningfully, and expressively--the essential components of reading comprehension. Each concise chapter presents a tried-and-true instructional or assessment strategy and shows how K-12 teachers can apply it in their own classrooms, using a wide variety of engaging texts. Special features include classroom examples, "Your Turn" activities, and 23 reproducible forms, in a large-size format for easy photocopying. Purchasers also get access to a Web page where they can download and print the reproducible materials.
Timothy Rasinski, PhD, is Professor of Literacy Education in the Reading and Writing Center at Kent State University, where he has directed or codirected the award-winning university reading clinic for more than 20 years. A member of the International Reading Hall of Fame, Dr. Rasinski has written extensively on working with children who struggle in acquiring full literacy. He is former editor of The Reading Teacher and Journal of Literacy Research and currently serves on the editorial review boards of Reading Research Quarterly, Literacy Research and Instruction, and Reading Psychology.
Nancy Padak, EdD, is Distinguished Professor Emerita of Education at Kent State University, where she directed the Reading and Writing Center and taught in the area of literacy education. Formerly she was the Principal Investigator for the Ohio Literacy Resource Center; she has also been a classroom teacher and district administrator. An active researcher, author, and consultant, Dr. Padak is a past president of the College Reading Association and former editor of The Reading Teacher and Journal of Literacy Research.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Fluency at the Core of Effective Literacy Instruction, Timothy Rasinski and Nancy Padak
I. Modeling Fluency for Students
2. Modeling Fluent Reading through Read-Alouds, Denise N. Morgan
3. Increasing Students\u2019 Metafluency Awareness: An Integral Part of Teaching Fluency, D. Ray Reutzel
II. Assisted Reading Strategies
4. Whole-Class Choral Reading, David Paige
5. Paired Reading, Timothy Rasinski and Nancy Padak
6. Audio-Assisted Reading, Kristine E. Pytash and Kaybeth Calabria
III. Phrasing Strategies
7. Fluency through Phrasing: High-Frequency Words, Maryann Mraz and Melissa Sykes
8. Teaching Phrasing through the Phrased Text Lesson, James Nageldinger
IV. Deep and Wide Reading Practice
9. Repeated Readings through Readers Theatre, Chase J. Young
10. Podcasting Approaches to Fluency Instruction, Sheri Vasinda and Julie McLeod
11. Writing Readers Theatre Scripts, Kristie Miner
12. Authentic Repeated Reading through Poetry and Song, Lori Wilfong
13. Invoking Walter Cronkite: Radio Reading and the Fluent Reader, Allison L. Baer
14. Increasing Reading Volume: The Million-Minute Reading Challenge, Timothy Rasinski and Nancy Padak
V. Integrated Fluency Models for Beginning and Struggling Students
15. Implementing the Fluency Development Lesson: An Intervention Model for Struggling Readers, Belinda S. Zimmerman
16. Boosting Fluency of English Language Learners with Music and Poetry Performance Activities, Kristin Lems
17. Getting Children Off to a Fast Start in Reading, Terry Kindervater
18. Fluency-Oriented Reading Instruction, Melanie R. Kuhn, Paula J. Schwanenflugel, Katherine A. Dougherty Stahl, Elizabeth B. Meisinger, and Carolyn Groff
VI. Other Fluency Issues
19. Five-Minute Fluency Active-ities, Brenda Rosler
20. Word Study: The Foundation for Fluency, Timothy Rasinski and Nancy Padak
21. Assessing the Fluency of Automaticity, Theresa Duncko
22. Assessing Prosody, Nancy Padak and Timothy Rasinski
23. Conclusion: Creating a Time for Fluency in Your Reading Program, Nancy Padak and Timothy Rasinski