Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Astrid Swenson is a Lecturer in European History at Brunel University London. She received her Ph.D from St. John's College Cambridge and was a Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge in the Cambridge Victorian Studies Group and a Fellow of Darwin College. Her book The Rise of Heritage: Preserving the past in France, Germany and Britain, 1789-1914 is forthcoming with Cambridge University Press.
Peter Mandler is Professor of Modern Cultural History at the University of Cambridge and Bailey College Lecturer in History at Gonville and Caius College. His book Return from the natives: How Margaret Mead won the Second World War and lost the Cold War is forthcoming with Yale University Press. From November 2012 he will be President of the Royal Historical Society.
Table of Contents
Part I: Introduction
1. The Heritage of Empire', Astrid Swanson
Part II: The Classical World
2. Of Doubtful Antiquity, Edmund Richardson
3. Officers and Gentlemen? Roman Britain and the British Empire, Mary Beard
4. Unity out of Diversity? The Making of a Modern Christian Monument in Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, Robin Cormack
Part III: The Biblical World
5. Unholy Water: Archaeology, the Bible, and the First Aswan Dam, David Gange
6. The Cotswolds in Jerusalem: Restoration and Empire, Simon Goldhill
Part IV: Empires and Civilisations
7. Remaking the Native in the South Pacific, South-East Asia and Southern Africa, Sujit Sivasundaram
8. Monument Preservation and the Vexing Question of Religious Structures in Colonial India, Indra Sengupta
9. Representing Ancient Egypt at Imperial High Noon (1882-1922): Egyptological Careers and Artistic Allegories of Civilization', Donald Malcolm Reid
Part V: The New World
10. Publication as Preservation at a Remote Maya Site in the Early Twentieth Century, Donna Yates
11. Plunder or Preservation? Negotiating an Anglo-American Heritage in the Later Nineteenth Century in the Old World and the New: Shakespeare's Birthplace, Niagara Fall and Carlyle's House, Melanie Hall
12. Dying Americans: Race, Extinction and Conservation in the New World, Sadiah Qureshi