Overview:The 18th edition of Crafting and Executing Strategyrepresents one of our most important and thoroughgoing revisions ever. The newest member of the author team, Margie Peteraf, led a thorough re-examination of every paragraph on every page of the 17th edition chapters. The overriding objectives were to inject new perspectives and the best academic thinking, strengthen linkages to the latest research findings, modify the coverage and exposition as needed to ensure squarely on-target content, and give every chapter a major facelift. While this 18th edition retains the same 12-chapter structure of the prior edition, every chapter has been totally refreshed. And the chapter content continues to be solidly mainstream and balanced, mirroring both the best academic thinking and the pragmatism of real-world strategic management. Known for its cases and teaching notes, this edition provides an unparalleled case line upof 28 cases. (1) 25 of the 28 cases are brand new or extensively updated for this edition, (2) The selection of cases is diverse, timely, and thoughtfully-crafted and complements the text presentation pushing students to apply the concepts and analytical tools they have read about. (3) Many cases involve high-profile companies. (4) And there's a comprehensive package of support materials that are a breeze to use, highly effective, and flexible enough to fit most any course design. Thompson 18e, your best case scenario!
TABLE OF CONTENTS:Part I: Concepts and Techniques for Crafting and Executing Strategy
Section A: Introduction and Overview
Chapter 1: What Is Strategy and Why Is It Important?
Chapter 2: Leading the Process of Crafting and Executing StrategySection B: Core Concepts and Analytical Tools
Chapter 3: Evaluating a Company’s External Environment
Chapter 4: Evaluating a Company’s Resources and Competitive PositionSection C: Crafting a Strategy
Chapter 5: Five Generic Competitive Strategies--Which One to Employ?
Chapter 6: Supplementing the Chosen Competitive Strategy: Other Important Strategy Choices
Chapter 7: Strategies for Competing in Foreign Markets
Chapter 8: Diversification: Strategies for Managing a Group of Businesses
Chapter 9: Ethical Business Strategies, Social Responsibility, and Environmental Sustainability Section D: Executing the Strategy
Chapter 10: Building an Organization Capable of Good Strategy Execution
Chapter 11: Managing Internal Operations: Actions That Promote Good Strategy Execution
Chapter 12: Corporate Culture and Leadership: Keys to Good Strategy ExecutionPart II: Readings
- Business Models, Business Strategy, and Innovation
- The Power of Vision: Statements That Resonate
- Finding Your Strategy in the New Landscape
- Getting into Your Competitor’s Head
- Operational Capabilities: Hidden in Plain View
- Orchestrating the New Dynamic Capabilities
- Low-Cost Strategy through Product Architecture: Lessons from China
- Innovation Strategies Combined
- Managing Strategic Alliances: What Do We Know Now, and Where Do We Go from Here?
- How Emerging Giants Are Rewriting the Rules of M&A
- The American Model of the Multinational Firm and the “New” Multinationals from Emerging Economies
- Core Competencies for Diversifying: Case Study of a Small Business
- Globalfocusing: Corporate Strategies under Pressure
- Making the Most of Corporate Social Responsibility
- Business as Environmental Steward: The Growth of Greening
- Recurring Failures in Corporate Governance: A Global Disease?
- Creative Execution
- Only the Right People Are Strategic Assets of the Firm
- Six Sigma at Your Service
- The Story Is the Message: Shaping Corporate Culture