More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Only one copy
in stock at this price.
In Stock Usually Ships in 24 Hours.
Usually Ships in 3-5 Business Days
Starting at $21.95
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
Renting is easy, fast, and cheap! Renting from eCampus.com can save you hundreds of dollars compared to the cost of new or used books each semester. At the end of the semester, simply ship the book back to us with a free UPS shipping label! No need to worry about selling it back.
How do rental returns work?
Returning books is as easy as possible. As your rental due date approaches, we will email you several courtesy reminders. When you are ready to return, you can print a free UPS shipping label from our website at any time. Then, just return the book to your UPS driver or any staffed UPS location. You can even use the same box we shipped it in!
What version or edition is this?
This is the 2nd edition with a publication date of 7/8/2010.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Designed for undergraduate students, Gendered Bodies: Feminist Perspectives, Second Edition, is a concise textbook/reader that provides a critical and multifaceted approach to the study of gendered bodies. Acclaimed scholars Judith Lorber and Lisa Jean Moore analyze the construction of gendered bodies in different contexts. Exploring a broad range of both long-established and more cutting-edge topics in feminist studies, Lorber and Moore present scholarly research, offer information on relevant laws and political events, and point to directions for social change. Gendered Bodies, Second Edition, focuses on key themes that reveal how gendered relations, ideologies, and practices shape human bodies. At the same time, it shows how human bodies are linked to other significant axes of inequality based on racial ethnic group, disability, sexuality, class, culture, religion, age, and nation. Thoroughly updated throughout, the second edition incorporates sixteen new selections--including non-Western perspectives--on such fascinating topics as evolution and motherhood; breastfeeding; breast cancer; the effects of height on men; job discrimination and transgendered people; world champion runner Caster Semenya and sex verification; disability, gender, and embodiment; and Palestinian female suicide bombers. It also adds new references and a concluding chapter, "Social Bodies in an Interconnected World." Gendered Bodies, Second Edition, is ideal for courses on the body, feminist theory, women and health, and the sociology of gender. Each chapter includes a list of key concepts, three readings, and suggested readings. The book also includes an appendix of class exercises.
Judith Lorber is Professor Emerita of Sociology and Women's Studies at The Graduate Center and Brooklyn College of The City University of New York.
Lisa Jean Moore is Coordinator of Gender Studies and Professor of Sociology and Women's Studies at Purchase College, State University of New York.
Table of Contents
*=New to this Edition
About the Authors
INTRODUCTION: KEY TERMS AND ISSUES
1. NEITHER NATURE NOR NURTURE: THEORIES OF THE GENDERED BODY
* "R" Genes Us?, Anne Fausto-Sterling
* No Time for Bullies: Baboons Retool Their Culture, Natalie Angier
* Incorporating Mothers into the Evolutionary Process, Sarah Blaffer Hrdy
2. "ARE YOU MY MOTHER? MY FATHER?": GENDERING PROCREATION
Shaping Babies: No, Not THAT Kind! Can I Try Again?, Kristen Karlberg
* Breastfeeding, Linda M. Blum and Jennifer J. Esala
Sperm, the Lovable Character in Facts-of-Life Books, Lisa Jean Moore
3. EVE, VENUS, AND "REAL WOMEN": CONSTRUCTING WOMEN'S BODIES
The Surface and the Depth: Medicalization, Beauty, and Body Image in Cosmetic Surgery, Victoria Pitts-Taylor
* Me and My Breasts, Muriel L. Sims
Telling My Story, Wairimu Ngaruiya Njambi
4. ADONIS, DON JUAN, AND "REAL MEN": CONSTRUCTING MEN'S BODIES
* Size Matters, Stephen S. Hall
Bear Bodies, Bear Masculinity, Peter Hennen
* How African-American and White Men Experience Cancer Screening Exams Involving the Rectum, Julie A. Winterich, Sara A. Quandt, Joseph G. Grzywacz, Peter E. Clark, David P. Miller, Joshua Acuņa, and Thomas A. Arcury
* 5. ALIGNING BODIES, IDENTITIES AND EXPRESSIONS: TRANSGENDER BODIES
* Before and After: Class and Body Transformation, Julia Serano
* Just One of the Guys, Kristen Schilt
* Expectant Bodies: The Pregnant Man, Paisley Currah
* 6. SPORTS: THE PLAYING GROUNDS OF GENDER
* Where's the Rulebook for Sex Verification?, Alice Dreger
* Playing with the Boys: Why Separate Is Not Equal in Sports, Eileen McDonagh and Laura Pappano
7. YOU DON'T NEED ARMS AND LEGS TO SING: GENDER AND DISABILITY
* Venus on Wheels, Gelya Frank
Tell Me, Tell Me, Irving Kenneth Zola
The Suffering and Limited Body, Susan Wendell
8. VIOLENT BODIES: VIOLENCE AND VIOLATIONS
Sexual Torture of Men, Pauline Oosterhoff, Prisca Zwanikken, and Evert Ketting
* Brides of Palestine/Angels of Death: The Case of the Palestinian Female Suicide Bombers, Dorit Naaman
* Reexamining Femicide, Nadera Shalhoub-Kevorkian
CONCLUSION: SOCIAL BODIES IN AN INTERCONNECTED WORLD
FILMS WITH SOMATIC THEMES