Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Michael Kimmel is Distinguished Professor of Sociology at Stony Brook University, State University of New York. A leading researcher and writer on gender and men and masculinity, he is the author of numerous books and articles including The Gendered Society Reader, Fifth Edition (with Amy Aronson, OUP, 2013), Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men (2009), and Manhood in America: A Cultural History, Third Edition (OUP, 2012).
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Human Beings: An Engendered Species
Part 1: E xplanations of Gender
2. Ordained by Nature: Biology Constructs the Sexes
3. Spanning the World: Culture Constructs Gender Difference
4. "So, That Explains It": Psychoanalytic and Developmental Perspectives on Gender
5. The Social Construction of Gender Relations
Part 2: Gendered Identities, Gendered Institutions
6. The Gendered Family: Biology Constructs the Sexes
7. The Gendered Classroom
8. Gender and Religion
9. Separate and Unequal: The Gendered World of Work
10. The Gendered Media
Part 3: Gendered Interacions
11. Gendered Intimacies: Friendship and Love
12. The Gendered Body
13. The Gender of Violence
Epilogue: "A Degendered Society"?