A Global History of Sexuality provides a provocative, wide-ranging introduction to the history of sexuality from the late eighteenth century to the present day.
- Explores what sexuality has meant in the everyday lives of individuals over the last 200 years
- Organized around four major themes: the formation of sexual identity, the regulation of sexuality by societal norms, the regulation of sexuality by institutions, and the intersection of sexuality with globalization
- Examines the topic from a comparative, global perspective, with well-chosen case studies to illuminate the broader themes
- Includes interdisciplinary contributions from prominent historians, sociologists, anthropologists, and sexuality studies scholars
- Introduces important theoretical concepts in a clear, accessible way
Robert Buffington is an Associate Professor of Women and Gender Studies at the University of Colorado Boulder. His books include Criminal and Citizen in Modern Mexico (2000), Reconstructing Criminality in Modern Latin America (co-edited with Carlos Aguirre, 2000), Mexico: An Encyclopedia of Contemporary Culture and History (with Don Coerver and Suzanne Pasztor, 2004), True Stories of Crime in Modern Mexico (co-edited with Pablo Piccato, 2009), and Keen’s Latin American Civilization, 9th edition (co-edited with Lila Caimari, 2009).
Eithne Luibhéid is an Associate Professor of Gender and Women’s Studies at the University of Arizona. She is the author of Entry Denied: Controlling Sexuality at the Border (2002) and Pregnant on Arrival: Making the ‘Illegal’ Immigrant (2013), as well as co-editor of Queer Migration: Sexuality, U.S. Citizenship, and Border Crossings (2005).
Donna J. Guy is Distinguished Professor of Humanities and History at Ohio State University. Her publications include Feminisms and Internationalism (co-edited with Mrinalini Sinha and Angela Woollacott, Blackwell, 2000), White Slavery and Mothers Alive and Dead (2000)and Women Build the Welfare State: Performing Charity and Creating Rights in Argentina, 1880-1955 (2009).
Notes on Contributors vii
1 Introduction 1
Robert M. Buffington
2 Sexuality and the Nation-State 17
3 Sexuality and Modern Imperialism 57
4 Sex and Disease from Syphilis to AIDS 89
Laura J. McGough and Katherine E. Bliss
5 Sexuality and International Migration 119
6 Sex Trafficking 151
Robert M. Buffington and Donna J. Guy
7 Sexuality and Mass Media 195
8 Sexuality and the Contemporary World: Globalization and Sexual Rights 221
Richard Parker, Jonathan Garcia, and Robert M. Buffington