Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
The primary goal of the GO! Series, aside from teaching computer applications, is ease of implementation, with an approach that is based on clearly defined projects.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalize Learning: MyITLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Engage Students with a Project-Based Approach: GO!’s project-based approach teaches students to solve real problems as they practice and learn the features.
- Motivate Students with Clear Instruction: Based on professor and student feedback, this text has been designed to offer clear instruction for full student comprehension.
- Teach the Course You Want in Less Time: The GO! series’ one-of-a kind instructional system provides you with everything you need to prepare for class, teach the material, and assess your students.
Table of Contents
Objective 1 Define Computer and Identify the Four Basic Computing Functions 2
Objective 2 Identify the Different Types of Computers 4
Embedded Computers 9
Objective 3 Describe Hardware Devices and Their Uses 9
System Unit 10
Different Types of CPUs 14
Output Devices 16
Storage Devices 19
Evaluating Your System 26
Objective 4 Identify Types of Software and Their Uses 28
System Software 29
Application Software 33
Social Communication and Personal Networking Software 37
Web Browser Software 38
Objective 5 Identify Ethically Responsible and Safe Computing Practices 38
Computer Maintenance 38
Malware (Malicious Software) 45
Protecting Yourself and Your Computer 48
Objective 6 Describe Networks and Define Network Terms 49
The Cloud Topologies 54
Summary, Key Terms, Matching, Multiple Choice 55