Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MasteringHealth does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MasteringHealth search for ISBN-10: 0321908724/ISBN-13: 9780321908728. That package includes ISBN-10: 0321910427/ISBN-13: 9780321910424 and ISBN-10: 0321948742/ISBN-13: 9780321948748.
MasteringHealth is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
For Personal Health Courses
Connecting Your Health to Your World—The Money and Technology Edition
Health: The Basics, Eleventh Edition focuses health coverage on real-world topics that have the greatest impact on your life, bringing health topics to life and keeping you hooked on learning and living well. This text addresses students’ diverse needs and learning styles with new Video Tutors and the new MasteringHealth™ Along with its dynamic new content and technology, this book retains its hallmarks of currency, excellent research, strength in behavior change, attractive design, imaginative art, and unique mini-chapters.
This program presents a better learning experience for you. Health: The Basics, Eleventh Edition will:
- Personalize learning with MasteringHealth: MasteringHealth coaches you through the toughest health topics. Engaging tools help you visualize, practice, and understand crucial content, from the basics of health to the fundamentals of behavior change.
- Cover health topics with a real-world focus: Money and Technology are two of the timeliest issues arising in health today and are addressed through the new Money & Health and Tech & Health boxes. A new mini-chapter targets financial challenges you face every day, such as budgeting, scams, and debt.
- Make health mobile: Video Tutors throughout the text present key figures or points of discussion in an engaging video. QR codes make these short videos easily viewable from a smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
- Encourage critical thinking and behavior change: Learning Catalytics™ is a ”bring your own device” student engagement, assessment, and classroom intelligence system that enables your instructor to assess you in real time, improving your critical-thinking skills, access rich analytics, and more.
Rebecca Donatelle is Professor Emeritus in public Health and is the Coordinator of Public Health Promotion and Education Programs in the College of Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State University. She has a Ph.D. in Community Health/Health Education, a Master of Science degree in Health Education, and a Bachelor of Science degree with majors in both Health/Physical Education and English. She is also a Certified Health Education Specialist. In addition to her varied teaching responsibilities, Becky is an active researcher in the area of health behaviors and behavior change. She has received the Leadership Award, outstanding teacher award in her college, and a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Presidential Award for Promising New Research in the Smoke-Free Families National Initiative.
Table of Contents
1. Accessing Your Health
Focus on: Improving Your Financial Health
2. Promoting and Preserving Your Psychological Health
Focus on: Cultivating Your Spiritual Health
3. Managing Stress and Coping with Life’s Challenges
Focus on: Improving Your Sleep
4. Preventing Violence and Injury
5. Building Healthy Relationships and Understanding Sexuality
6. Considering Your Reproductive Choices
7. Recognizing and Avoiding Addiction and Drug Use
8. Drinking Alcohol Responsibly and Ending Tobacco Use
9. Eating for a Healthier You
10. Reaching and Maintaining a Healthy Weight
Focus On: Enhancing Your Body Image
11. Improving Your Personal Fitness
12. Reducing Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease and Cancer
Focus on: Minimizing Your Risk for Diabetes
13. Protecting against Infectious Diseases and Sexually Transmitted Infections
Focus on: Reducing Risks and Coping with Chronic Diseases and Conditions
14. Preparing for Aging, Death, and Dying
15. Promoting Environmental Health
16. Making Smart Health Care Choices
Focus on: Understanding Complementary and Alternative Medicine