Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Table of Contents
1. Helping: What does it mean?
Your view of helping?
The helping process.
Motives for helping.
Peer and community helpers, professional and nonprofessional helpers.
2. Characteristics of helpers.
Levels and styles.
The helper personality.
Why is helping effective?
3. The helping process.
The helping process as experienced.
4. Helping skills for understanding.
Listening, leading, reflecting, challenging, interpreting, informing, summarizing.
5. Helping skills for loss and crisis.
Strategies for helping.
6. Helping skills for positive action and behavior change.
The action approach to helping.
Making positive behavior changes.
7. Ethical issues in helping relationships.
Helper competence and limitations.
8. Thinking about the helping process.
A personal theory of helpfulness.
Tying theory to practice.