Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
1. Helping: What does it mean?
Your view of helping?
The helping process.
Motives for helping.
Peer and community helpers, professional and nonprofessional helpers.
2. Characteristics of helpers.
Levels and styles.
The helper personality.
Why is helping effective?
3. The helping process.
The helping process as experienced.
4. Helping skills for understanding.
Listening, leading, reflecting, challenging, interpreting, informing, summarizing.
5. Helping skills for loss and crisis.
Strategies for helping.
6. Helping skills for positive action and behavior change.
The action approach to helping.
Making positive behavior changes.
7. Ethical issues in helping relationships.
Helper competence and limitations.
8. Thinking about the helping process.
A personal theory of helpfulness.
Tying theory to practice.